Why do atheist try to convert Christians

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 09:51 am
@reasoning logic,
I don't mind you asking me questions.
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 04:05 pm
@Arella Mae,
You have a belief in haven and I have a hope for a better world for our children but the more I think about it the more it seems to me that neither one of us will get what we hope for. I do hope that you get your haven though.

Do not get me wrong I do not think that we should give up on hope but it does not seem that the majority of people place as much interest into these concepts as they do in other parts of their lives!

Do you like animation? I seen this short video that I seem to agree with do you see things that you disagree with?

igm

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 04:47 pm
@reasoning logic,
I think some people want more than to think they are an insignificant speck on an insignificant rock on the outer edge of an unremarkable galaxy in an unimaginably large universe, with probably no freewill, no self, no meaning except what they makeup for themselves, relatively short lives etc…etc… So they believe in a fantasy where this isn’t the case.

I prefer to rely on unelaborated nature of reality.
Krumple

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 04:57 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

I think some people want more than to think they are an insignificant speck on an insignificant rock on the outer edge of an unremarkable galaxy in an unimaginably large universe, with probably no freewill, no self, no meaning except what they makeup for themselves, relatively short lives etc…etc… So they believe in a fantasy where this isn’t the case.

That is exactly what it is. They don't want to face reality so they chose to believe in unsupportable stuff to make them feel better about reality. It is a type of delusion but no amount of pointing that out will do anything to get them to see it.
BillRM

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 05:05 pm
@igm,
Quote:
I think some people want more than to think they are an insignificant speck on an insignificant rock on the outer edge of an unremarkable galaxy in an unimaginably large universe,

Strange from a very early age in laying in a hammock outside under a heaven full of stars I was delighted in the idea of a vast and almost never ending universe.

The idea that the small little planet I happen to be living on was anything out of the ordinary or that the human race did not happen to share the universe with countless others kinds of people never never appeal to me.

Looking at the stars I kept wondering how many other eyes on other planets around others suns were looking back at me.

A god who not only created the universe but also worry if humans obey his commands and worship him in the proper manner and from time to time interfere with human lives never made any kind of sense to me.
Arella Mae

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 05:11 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
That is exactly what it is. They don't want to face reality so they chose to believe in unsupportable stuff to make them feel better about reality. It is a type of delusion but no amount of pointing that out will do anything to get them to see it.

Do you know every single believer in the world that you can definitively say....that is exactly what it is? Someone believes differently than you do so of course, they am the delusional ones. Isn't that pretty intolerant?
BillRM

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 06:52 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
Someone believes differently than you do so of course, they am the delusional ones. Isn't that pretty intolerant?

Sorry if the person have zero reason or logic behind their belief system and it does not fit in with the known universe it is hardly intolerant to point that out.

As in sir you can not be Napoleon the First no matter how sure you are of that fact.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 06:52 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:

igm wrote:

In defense of believers, even though I'm not one, it is a pretty big burden knowing that you're going to die some day. Some people avoid thinking about it by focusing their minds on the rat race, hobbies, movies, fantasies, etc, etc, and some flee to religion. It's made all the easier to do because of the extensive social network support, usually starting with parents. Believers who don't hurt anybody have the same right to absorb themselves in their favorite escapism as we do ours. It's only when they start ******* with nonbelievers that they cross the line.
BillRM

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 07:36 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
it is a pretty big burden knowing that you're going to die some day. Some people avoid thinking about it by focusing their minds on the rat race, hobbies, movies, fantasies, etc, etc, and some flee to religion

Why is the idea of being in the state of non-being by reason of death any difference from the billions of years before we were born and also in a state of non-being?

Quote:
Believers who don't hurt anybody have the same right to absorb themselves in their favorite escapism as we do ours. It's only when they start ******* with nonbelievers that they cross the line.

A society with a large percent of it total population holding irrational beliefs are going to affect all of us.

All the anti-gay laws on the books for most of the history of the US was driven by bible believing Christians for example.

The ongoing attempts to teach nonsense in our public schools as science are driven by bible believing Christians.

The attempts to rewrite history and teach it in the public schools as facts are driven by the same groups.

On and on in a millions of small ways and large ways the whole society paid a price for having a large percent of true believers in it.

Thomas

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 09:00 pm
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
Someone believes differently than you do so of course, they am the delusional ones. Isn't that pretty intolerant?

The problem isn't that people believe differently than Krumple. For example, Krumple and I have disagreed fervently on political issues, yet he has never said I'm delusional, nor implied that he thinks I am. And no, it's not intolerant to think people are delusional if they believe in imaginary friends who literally exist, who literally walked on water, who resurrected corpses that already smelled, and whose blood literally turns into wine during the eucharist. Indeed, the lion's share of all people would agree with this diagnosis if only a single patient was in on the delusion. It only gets difficult when we're talking about several billion deluded people who believe such nonsense.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 09:23 pm
@igm,
igm, you do realize, of course, that you ARE that unimaginably large universe?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 09:54 pm
@Thomas,
Selective tolerance. How convenient.

I doubt you would so blithely accept that someone who believes that homosexual congress, which cannot possibly result in procreation, is unnatural; isn't intolerant.

This may be unfair because I am not sure of the position you have taken relative to tolerance and Muslims, but quite a few people who would applaud your reply to Arella Mae have ranted long and hard against the perceived intolerance of Americans towards Muslims.

But I suppose Krumple's and your intolerance for Christians is OK because it is fueled by reason, whereas intolerance of Muslims in America is fueled by irrational racism.
Thomas

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 10:05 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Selective tolerance. How convenient.

Tolerance has nothing to do with it either way. I'm not intolerant of people who think they're Napoleon. I'm not intolerant of people who think they drink the savior of the world's blood on a regular basis. I'm not tolerant of them either. The concept of tolerance simply does not apply to the context of error and delusion.

Quote:
I doubt you would so blithely accept that someone who believes that homosexual congress, which cannot possibly result in procreation, is unnatural; isn't intolerant.

You're wrong. I would---up to the point where they start calling homosexuals swear words, beating them up, or even lynching them. That's what intolerance is, and I don't advocate it against any believer in god. Jews, Muslims, Christians---they all have a right to delude themselves.
BillRM

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2011 10:21 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
up to the point where they start calling homosexuals swear words, beating them up, or even lynching them. That's what intolerance is, and I don't advocate it against any believer in god. Jews, Muslims, Christians---they all have a right to delude themselves.

Do not forget passing laws that have the state seizing homosexuals and placing them in prison for private sexual acts of consenting adults.

Too bad that the godless SC interfered with the god fearing bible believing people from having such laws on the books.

Side note I do not believe in gay married and I do think that homosexuality is a misdirection of sexual drives however that does not mean that people who are homosexuals should be mistreated in any manner and surely not under the cover of the law.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 04:49 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
it is a pretty big burden knowing that you're going to die some day. Some people avoid thinking about it by focusing their minds on the rat race, hobbies, movies, fantasies, etc, etc, and some flee to religion

Why is the idea of being in the state of non-being by reason of death any difference from the billions of years before we were born and also in a state of non-being?

Quote:
Believers who don't hurt anybody have the same right to absorb themselves in their favorite escapism as we do ours. It's only when they start ******* with nonbelievers that they cross the line.

A society with a large percent of it total population holding irrational beliefs are going to affect all of us.

All the anti-gay laws on the books for most of the history of the US was driven by bible believing Christians for example.

The ongoing attempts to teach nonsense in our public schools as science are driven by bible believing Christians.

The attempts to rewrite history and teach it in the public schools as facts are driven by the same groups.

On and on in a millions of small ways and large ways the whole society paid a price for having a large percent of true believers in it.

Alright. ****. You got me there. I can't worm my way out of that. Wink

0 Replies

igm

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:12 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
I think some people want more than to think they are an insignificant speck on an insignificant rock on the outer edge of an unremarkable galaxy in an unimaginably large universe,

Strange from a very early age in laying in a hammock outside under a heaven full of stars I was delighted in the idea of a vast and almost never ending universe.

The idea that the small little planet I happen to be living on was anything out of the ordinary or that the human race did not happen to share the universe with countless others kinds of people never never appeal to me.

Looking at the stars I kept wondering how many other eyes on other planets around others suns were looking back at me.

A god who not only created the universe but also worry if humans obey his commands and worship him in the proper manner and from time to time interfere with human lives never made any kind of sense to me.

That’s definitely one way a secular atheist should view their life in general. It’s good to be positive.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:17 am
@Thomas,
When YOU decide I am deluded because yout think you are right and I am wrong then you have become intolerant. I have never attacked any homosexual btw.
igm

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:24 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

igm, you do realize, of course, that you ARE that unimaginably large universe?

That’s one way to look at it. I prefer not to elaborate at all the true nature of reality and as the Heart Sutra says ‘…rely on and abide in the Perfection of Wisdom (igm: Perfection of Wisdom = the unelaborated true nature of reality).
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:28 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

When YOU decide I am deluded because yout think you are right and I am wrong then you have become intolerant. I have never attacked any homosexual btw.

Anyone with fixed religious beliefs naturally feels that those who do not share those beliefs is delusional in some way. That's not intolerance, intolerence is when you feel that others who do not share those beliefs should not be afforded the same rights.

The right to marriage is a right that Bill does not feel should be given to homosexuals. I would not presume to say what your opinion is on the matter. Over here we've taken a middle road. Civil partnerships between gay couples have the same legal status as marriage. The concept of marriage is too tied up with religious ideology to make gay marriage acceptable to such people. I think it's a shame, but as long as the legal rights are the same it's a necessary compromise.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2011 06:50 am
re the Devil's Dictionary

Quote:
RELIGION, n.
A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable.

"What is your religion my son?" inquired the Archbishop of Rheims.

"Pardon, monseigneur," replied Rochebriant; "I am ashamed of it."

"Then why do you not become an atheist?"

"Impossible! I should be ashamed of atheism."

"In that case, monsieur, you should join the Protestants."

Rap
0 Replies