The Unhelpful Bystander

Individual

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 02:59 pm
Alright, I've rethought the situation and perhaps it isn't so bad to freeze up as a natural response. However, what really pissed me off was when the young man was struggling with the woman and could definitely use more help, nobody moved and thus created a great wall between others and the woman so that nobody else could run to her aid. Also, when the paramedics arrived, people stood in their way even when told to move.

OCCOM, I didn't make this story up and I would never be mad at you for thinking that I completely fabricated it. And thanks for the quote, I couldn't think of the exact wording.

As for the holocaust comparison...Even when given years to think about a problem and to get over a natural period of freezing up, people don't overcome whatever is holding them back from helping innocent, suffering victims. In fact, they completely ignored the problem. You were using the fact that people in WWII had years to think over a problem as an argument against my reasoning whereas I am using it as an argument for. I hope that you see the connection also, or give me a better reason why you can't compare the two.
0 Replies

metaethics

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 04:16 pm
propensity & proximity
It is hard to criticize someone's propensity from ethical point of view without considering his or her proximity (in any sense) to the other person, event, or situation. It is, however, the reason to make judgment (based on his or her natural inclination or preference) at particular point that might make you feel angry about.

- Some people simply don't want to touch someone else's blood, hear the siren of an emergency vehicle, breathe soot from WTC knowing it may contain someone else's ashes. I did, and I would do so by any chance, but that alone won't make me one with the heart of a saint.

- Some people simply aren't watchful when they could hold a door for somebody else, carry someone's bag at subway stairs, help someone reload a cart when it gets stuck in a pothole in the middle of street and the fallen stuff halts the traffic. I may not be the first one who comes to aid because of how near I am at the moment, but I'd say thanks to those who did help in exchange for nothing. That wouldn't make me feel guilty or think my life is compromised.

- Some people may blow the whistle when they see something wrong, even if that may cost their jobs. Some people may go into the pile of rubble to rescue someone after an earthquake or a terrorist attack, even though that may cost their lives. Some people may not, but that alone does not make them guilty as long as they appreciate what someone else would do on their behalf. Those bystanders could maintain their innocence even when they are useless.

On the other hand, you might also consider the magnitude of what has happened to immediately figure out how much resource you'd need to aid the person in trouble.

- If you think two persons would be enough to coordinate a rescue mission, you may just pass by or stand by, keep watching or do nothing. It would be more important for you to show enough gratitude and respect towards those in action. Thinking "what I can do" at particular point does not necessarily compromise the principle of "I'll do my part."
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 04:30 pm
You can not compare the two because the people at the store had a Knee-jerk reaction. Given time to think about it, I'm sure some of them would have willed themselves into ignoring their fear and offered assistance.
A couple of years ago, shortly after Sept. 11th, I arrived at Home Depot and heard a woman yell "help! He's got my purse!" I was the second person on the scene and in fact was the person to first grab the would-be Car-Jacker. No less than a dozen people responded to the old ladies plea, and there was no chance this thug was going to get away. It warmed my heart to see so many people responding to a strangers cry. Prior to Sept. 11th, I believe she would have received less assistance. I believe it was precisely because people were considering in advance what they would do in an emergency situation that resulted in so many helpful respondents. No one expected that accident, so the bystanders there; had only their natural reactions to go on, with no preconceived thoughts on how they'd respond. I do not think you should hold people responsible for their natural reactions. It remains a much different thing than turning a blind eye to an ongoing atrocity.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 04:32 pm
A few weeks back a few guys were dismantling a big satellite dish. They sent a person to ask if I would help lift it off the stand once the last bolts was loosed. I agreed and walked over there. By the time I came on the scene the large one of the team had somehow lifted it by himself. It came clear just as I came in the gate. "Get back!" he said frantically. I stood away. Then he stood there, tottering. "Help me," he said. I almost ran and got under it with him. But my common sense told me I could easily wrench his back around if I went to lift and threw it off balance. At the same instant I saw that if he simply eased himself down the dish would come to rest propped against the stand. He would be fine. I started to tell him this when it came down on its own. Just as I had figured, the stand protected him. I have not spoken with the man. He probably thinks I was too dumb or unwilling to help. No two people percieve an emergency situation exactly the same.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 12:31 am
I suppose you are all right. It's just that me and the young man were trying pretty hard as it was, it really pissed me off that nobody even offered to help. At least everything turned out all right in the end.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 11:30 pm
I don't think if people are not helping that they need to be an audience to the hurt person. No one wants to be bleeding from the head and have a hundred people just staring at you, only because there is already someone helping so they can just stand there and stare.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 11:46 pm
Individual, human nature is a very strange thing. Some people act in emergency situations as if they are in a trance--unable to move.

What Portal Star said about your having been stunned by the horror of it all is true. You had just been through a traumatic experience and reacted with anger, which is understandable.

Now that you've had a chance to think about it, I hope you won't think too badly of the people who didn't respond. It certainly wasn't admirable of them, but some people simply cannot act in emergencies.
0 Replies