The Unhelpful Bystander

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 09:27 pm
I had quite a debacle in the market today on my way to purchase some tasty pastrys. A woman directly in front of me had the nerve to begin a hair-raising seisure and subsequent fall on her head.

The woman began to jerk a little and fell backwards hitting her head on a hard, wooden point of a bread stand while pulling her basket down with her. I ran to her aid and asked if she was alright but she wouldn't respond. Then I looked into this woman's face, I will never forget such a contorted, bewildered, fearful, and painful expression. Naturally, I yelled for help but it took people a few minutes to face their fear and stare at the crazy person yelling in the market.

As help approached, I move the cart from on top of and under the lady to a few feet away. Then I looked around and realized that there was a quickly growing puddle of blood running all around the woman's head. Boy did I curse my luck right then. It then dawned on me that I had a cell phone and I proceeded to dial 911 (making a few mistakes on my way due to shaky hands) and finally got through.

The operator told me what to do to help the woman as I backed off to let a young looking man help her with the physical business. I sure as hell wasn't going to touch a bloody woman! The man held her hand, turned her on her back, and tilted her head back as I relayed information on what to do. Then I hung up, the call was over.

People have medical conditions and I know that man has always helped man, and both of those concepts are completely understandable and normal. But what I do not understand is how so many bystanders can crowd around with complete knowledge of what is happening and the help that is needed but not take any action. Nothing, no "What can I do?" Nobody tried to help when the man put the woman on her back. They just stood around and, if the woman was conscious, added to the fear of wondering what the hell had happened to her. These are the people who let the Nazis get away with genocide. These are the people who stood around when Princess Di crashed her car. These are the people who let honest, good people die because of their indecision and their fear. How can people go home and feel good after they do nothing to a person in need? "All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,721 • Replies: 26
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:20 pm
Individual, you're a good person. Sorry the store was filled with idiots.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:25 pm
Thank you
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:31 pm
While I understand what you're saying here comparing people who don't act in a matter of seconds when something happens to people who stood by for years while Jews were being killed in concentration camps is a bit over the top.

Most people freeze in the face of a sudden emergency. It's a standard mental response that takes time for people to snap out of while their brain tries to make sense out of the confusion.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:33 pm
And people didn't just stand around and let the genocide go on nextdoor?
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:35 pm
I can understand people who take a few seconds to comprehend the situation, I stopped dead in my tracks for a little until I realized what had happened. But these people stood around for ten minutes!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:37 pm
People had months and/or years to think about genocide going on for years. The people at this store today didn't.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:40 pm
Individual,

I generally enjoy your posts, however, I've been in the store when people have fallen out due to seizure or fainting or some other thing. I'm never the one to rush to aid. I'm never the one to call 911 (I only recently got a cell phone). I worry like hell, but as soon as I think to do something, or rather, as I begin to wonder what should I do, what can I do - I look, and there is an individual, nay, several individuals helping. At these times, there are usually more than 1 on the phone.

How many people does it take to call 911 (especially if 2 are already talking to the dispatchers). I think it would be just as disruptive to have a busload of people running around 'trying' to help, than having them standing around watching the helpers. I freeze up like a popsicle when disaster strikes. I'm a mom, and I freak out when something happens to my kids.

I don't think that makes me an idiot. I don't think, because you don't react quicly to a situation you're automatically an idiot. I am rather sure the Lord will forgive me this flaw in my personality. I thank heaven for those like you, who are quick to act in the face of any and all disaster areas. My hat is off to you. I'm very sure that woman's family is glad you were around. You're one of the unsung heros of the daily life i'll bet. I know this probably sounds sarcastic...but it's not.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:41 pm
Are you agreeing with me? That's my point, even given years to think about what is happening people do not respond.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:43 pm
Sorry if I said that the bystanders were stupid. What I didn't understand was how people could fail to react even when given many minutes to overcome their fears or whatever else is holding them back.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:44 pm
Littlek! You're getting me in trouble!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:46 pm
Individual wrote:
Are you agreeing with me? That's my point, even given years to think about what is happening people do not respond.

Certianly people do not respond.

But my original comment was that there is NO comparison between someone who doesn't respond within a matter of seconds to someone that ignores what is going on next door for years on end. The two are entirely different mental processes.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:47 pm
How so? What exactly is different?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:48 pm
Oops, sorry Individual!
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:49 pm
Don't worry about it.
Smile
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:59 pm
Individual wrote:
How so? What exactly is different?

What is different is the period of time involved. For most people it takes 2 to 3 minutes to orgainze their thoughts enough to be useful in an emergency and then additional minutes to assess what needs to be done from that point on out. They didn't have the luxury of time to discuss the particulars with anyone and decide to take action.

People who stood by and did nothing while genocide was taking place down the street had months and years to assess what was going on, to discuss it with their family and neighbors, etc..
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 11:05 pm
What was everyone supposed to do? Someone already called 911, Somebody was already looking after the person. Did you expect everyone there to take turns or something? People are always morbidly fascinated by accidents like this. Besides if it was an epileptic seizure then the last thing you should do is go near them. You could hurt them, they could hurt you, there's nothing you can do to help unless they stop breathing.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 11:19 pm
I just happen to be one of those people who go on auto-pilot when emergencies occur. It is simply my natural reaction. I could no more do nothing then your average person could do something. No distinction between good and bad should be made of this. Reaction is a person's nature; not a choice they make. As for your question: "How can people go home and feel good after they do nothing to a person in need?" I would bet most people feel bad if they freeze up, if they think they could have helped, but I doubt they had any control over their reaction anyway.

2 extra thoughtsÂ…
1) Did you make this story up so you could see the responses? Just curious. Please don't be mad if you didn't.
2) Would you like a more accurate quote from Edmund Burke? If so, read my signature line.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 11:30 pm
Sometimes too many people in an emergency can be a burden. If you and a young man were there, and you called 911 on the phone, sounds like you had it covered. The WWII comparison is ridiculous, sounds like you've just been stunned by the horror of it all and having the burden placed on you. Must have been a nasty experience, and it was nice of you to help her. Did it turn out okay?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 06:03 pm
I've always been known to jump in and help without a thought, but I won't if there are already people there helping and calling 911. As others have stated, it could be worse having too many people involved.
0 Replies