What do I have to do to go back to dying my gray hair blonde?

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 12:22 am
I have some very prominent gray/white streaks in my dark brown hair. I like very low maintenance (besides going au natural!) and was putting semi-permanent blonde over everything, as it would dye my gray hair blonde but do next to nothing to my brown hair, which is what I want. I then decided to go all dark brown (still semi- or demi- permanent, whatever the difference is), and have been doing that a year, but my roots on my hairline just come in far too quick, like one to two weeks! I want to go back to doing the blonde because I know I can get more mileage out of it.

My question is, do I need to use something like that "color oops" stuff to get the brown out of my gray before I can put the semi permanent blonde in? I am very anxious to go back to the lower maintenance way and I really don't think the brown will fade much from my gray in 28 washes. It's been about 3 weeks since i last put the brown in. Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,724 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 06:11 am
@MrsZiggyB,
You'll probably need to get the brown out, yes. Another thing you could do is -- and I'm unsure about how this would look or quite how you'd pull it off -- but maybe transition the color. You don't say how long your hair is. If it's rather short (e. g. above your shoulders), the transition thing might work. If it's longer than that, you will probably need to strip the dye completely off as it'll be a while before your roots have grown out so much that the blonde would become truly prominent again.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 07:29 am
having done hair for a very long time, I have a few questions..

what is your hair type? Is it thin? thick? curly? oily? dry? brittle?...
what is your ethnicity? ( yes that can play into hair types)

is the brown semi-perm?
How are you putting it in? Is this a box from the store? ( a basic color deposit) or are you pulling or lightning your hair BEFORE you add color?

Are you using stripping shampoo?
MrsZiggyB

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 06:47 pm
@shewolfnm,
Thanks for replies. To answer your questions, Shewolfnm, my hair type is straight, medium thickness (not super-fine, definitely not coarse, but a lot of it), fairly healthy, though scalp can be on oily side. I am caucasian. My hair is naturally very dark brown, and yes, the brown I've been putting in is semi-permanent. I've been using Garnier HerbaShine and not doing anything else. Same thing, when I was doing blonde, I would just put a medium neutral Natural Instincts blonde in, and I was fairly satisfied with the results. I've heard that some the other semi-perm brands are better for gray coverage, and Natural instincts changed their formula, so I'll be using something else, like Loreal Healthy Look.

I did buy a box of that Clairol Color Oops color remover, but I've heard it's a pain to use properly. I guess you have to rinse your hair for thirty minutes or something, but I will do it if that's what it takes. I am not willing to go to a salon or bleach. But I don't want to be walking around with these roots either. I'm not familiar with stripping shampoos. Do I get it at a beauty supply store and do they work? I shampoo my hair every other day with Denorex 2 in 1 dandruff shampoo.

Sorry it's so long and TMI. I really appreciate any info and help I can get. Thank you so much.
0 Replies

MrsZiggyB

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2011 07:53 pm
@shewolfnm,
I haven't posted my question on any other forums, but after answering your questions, I'm curious to see what your response would be. Hope to hear from you! Thanks
0 Replies