Mice

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 08:43 am
After more than 5 years of steady computer use I have tried almost every kind of mouse there is - corded, cordless, wheel, optical - you name it. I love the freedom of the cordless, but after all this time, I'm back to the one that came with the computer - plain vanilla, cord, no wheel.

Am I a Luddite or should I just face the fact that I don't need all the available bells and whistles?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,617 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 08:48 am
Tomkitten - Why did you go back to plain vanilla?

I have an optical mouse with a scroll wheel and five buttons. I love that I don't have to worry about dirt getting into the mouse, and that it will work on most surfaces. I realized though, that I seldom use the 4th and 5th button, even though I have them programmed. Old habits die hard!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 08:59 am
Mice
Phoenix - I was having a lot of trouble with my cordless wheel mouse, and tried switching all my old mice around to see what worked best. I found that the old vanilla hp two-button mouse worked the most smoothly. It goes where I want it to go, whereas with the two Logitech mice the mouse would point one way, but the ball would somehow be working in a different direction. It seemed to me that there was a looseness and a lack of close control.

Also, I really haven't had any use for most of the frills, even the wheel. I guess my computer use is pretty much plain vanilla itself.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 09:01 am
Phoenix, what can you program the buttons on your fancy mouse to do?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 09:02 am
Mice
And what kind of mouse is it?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 09:25 am
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical

I won't give you the whole enchilada, but here are some of the things that you can program the mouse to do:

Right and left buttons-click, right click, auto scroll. back, forward, keystroke, alt, backspace, click lock.

Wheel button- auto scroll, back, forward, key stroke, alt, backspace, click lock, close, copy.

Some of the same stuff is on the two side buttons.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 11:37 am
If I gotta mouse... gimme a wheel.

Keyboard works just fine for me...
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:17 am
I don't know what I'd do without my scroll wheel -- especially for long threads! I was using a computer without a wheel a couple weeks ago, and found myself gently stroking the top of the mouse!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 06:55 pm
I got a new mouse last year because the ball on the bottom of my old one grew a mind of its own and I got fed up. The one I have now has no ball and has that wonderful scroll wheel. I'd be lost without my scroll wheel. I have thought of going cordless though, but now am having second thoughts.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 06:57 pm
I use a cordless rollerball with back/forward buttons wheels and whatnot.

Some things mice can't hack (graphics, FPS games), and require a rollerball.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 09:39 pm
I like my plain mouse, too. I have tried fancier meece at friends' places - haven't liked 'em...I guess I am a mouse Luddite, too.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 04:11 pm
Montana -- you clean de mouse insides once in awhile? A co-worker had that problem, turns out she didn't know they open up. I cleaned it out and found oh-god-i-don't-know-what in there... worked fine after.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 02:49 am
Wy
I know. I use to clean mine all the time, but I just got tired of it acting up when I was in the middle of something. I didn't plan on getting another one until I saw the one I have at the mall and saw how cheap it was. I liked the idea that it didn't have a ball and had the scroll thingy.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 07:13 am
Couldn't live without my wheel.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 04:49 pm
Office Max has a free one this week (after a rebate of course)... also a free keyboard and a bunch of other stuff.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 05:01 pm
Wy wrote:
Office Max has a free one this week (after a rebate of course)... also a free keyboard and a bunch of other stuff.

Wish we had one of those here.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 05:06 pm
I'm with Phoenix - once a month I re-discover, how the 4th and 5th wheel have been programed :wink:

(I use a 'Medion' mouse, from the ALDI.)
0 Replies

Chucara

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 05:07 pm
My pointing device ever (despite the many laughs I got while using it - especially when playing counter-strike (until I wiped the floor with their bleeding carcasses, that is)) is a Logitech Trackman Marble FX. It is now available cordless, but that doesn't really matter.

It's just so precise and fast, and very ergonomical. That and the split Microsoft Natural keyboard has ensured that I have never suffered from any pain despite the many hours of computer use I put myself though each day.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 08:21 pm
Montana (et al.) -- they do online. I don't know how free things would be after shipping, but maybe there's a deal for that too...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 08:38 pm
for a few months i've now used a microsoft wireless optical mouse (tradename BLUE). i really like it; i always used to get the wires tangled up. i should have waited for the rechargeable. well, next time. hbg
0 Replies