Nurse abuse by pt; Hospital responsibility in case

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 02:51 pm
I was responding to what I thought was a pt fall as reported/yelled pt a housekeeper. Myself and another nurse ran to end of hall from nurses station and I being first to arrive to closed door, knocked and pushed on door handle , as one motion as we do in a hurry, to open door expecting to find some little old man or woman on the floor. Instead as I pushed the door open I was met, which was all a combined blur, with a fist to the right temporal region and then with an immediate follow up fist to the left jaw/cheek area by a 6' 350 lb man covered around neck and chest with blood. I spun around and went in to room across the hall and shut the door and slid down into sitting position with feet on floor hoping to block door until help could arrive. The other nurse I noticed as I was spinning around had ran back up hall for help. I pressed charges with the police when they arrived and spoke to me in the ED. I found out it took 7 officers, 1 as large as the pt, and 3 taser attempts to bring him down. They called it an acute psychotic episode. The pt had 2 knives, 1 butter knife from hospital kitchen and 1 3" buck knife that he brought to hospital with him. He had cut his neck and stabbed himself several times in upper chest area. I was lucky to have been hit with fist and not the knife. However, I find out that the family had informed the ED of pt not being "right" for a week and saying paranoid statements like "they're trying to kill me" and throwing away their fast food stating " they're trying to poision us" before pt coming to hospital with chest pain, all neg tests, prob anxiety. They consulted psy who cleared him and admitted him to the floor and no one searched pt for meds or weapons which I believe should be done under the circumstances and the ED nurses never reported any of this to the recieving nurse on floor which was therefore never passed on to any shift nurses or CTT's. Should the hospital not be held responsible for this and we should make changes to protect the health care workers for abuse, we are not there to be verabally or physically abused. Also could they not be held resonsible for the breakdown in information and negligence to provide safety for their workers ex not searching pt who had come in with paranoid delusions per family and the psy MD for clearing him, need better assessment tool obviously. Whats done to me is done, displaced disks in my jaws and the nights/days of distress, but my concern is to have it not happen again to myself or someone else. Next time we may not be lucky.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 845 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Mame

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 02:55 pm
Yes, I believe there is a responsibility there by the hospital - surely there should be some policies and procedures in place already (this can't be the first time a mentally ill patient has been admitted) and therefore there will be some recourse for you. Surely your lawyer will be able to advise. Workplace safety is involved here, and there likely are federal or state guidelines - I know there are in Canada.

Sorry to hear about that terrifying and painful experience and I wish you the best.
0 Replies