Have you ever served on jury service?

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 04:32 pm
I've only served on a jury once, decades ago. I've been called for jury duty several times, but was excused because of my work for a doctor's union. They don't like doctors or unions on their juries, I guess.

BBB

djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 04:36 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
never been called

i've always imagined i would act obnoxiously opinionated if called
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 04:36 pm
I have been called numerous times, but actually served twice. The first time was fairly close to home. The second time, I took the park and ride bus to downtown Houston.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 04:37 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
i've always imagined i would act obnoxiously opinionated if called

or maybe i'd just act naturally Razz
Letty

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 04:42 pm
@djjd62,
Funny dj. Yep, served three times. Once in district court. Twice in local courts.

Did they ever put you in the movies, Canada?

I was in one once. Ended up on the cutting room floor.
djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 04:46 pm
@Letty,
ha, no movies
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 05:07 pm
A thing that has always bothered me about one of the trials, the selected jurists were asked if they had any prejudice toward the defendants. I raised my hand. They did not ask me any questions or seem to take notice of my response. I was seated and sure enough voted to convict.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 05:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
Would you like to tell us why you had a prejudice?

BBB
Ceili

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 05:23 pm
No, and I've always wanted to. Or at least since I was in grade 7 and got to play the defence attorney in moot court. Every other of my family has served or at least been called... Some of them multiple times. I'm a little verklempt.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 05:28 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
The last time I was called, it was for the grand jury in San Francisco. I told them I couldn't serve because I had severe Diarrhea. They dropped me immediately.

BBB
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 05:53 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
The defendants chained their toddler to an abortion clinic. They broke the jaws of life trying to cut the chain. These were the acknowledged facts of the case before we got selected.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 05:57 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I sent them a graph of my last hearing test.
jcboy

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 06:44 pm
@roger,
I was called for the first time in January, here in Florida you don’t wait until your number is called, you have to appear. Out of about 50 people we were down to 15 and I thought for sure I would be picked but I wasn’t. I really wouldn’t have minded if I had been picked I was prepared to do my civil duty.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 06:59 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Yes. I was on a federal jury and on a civil case investigating the firing of a city employee by the mayor of Medford(?), MA ... [I can't remember exactly].

The employee claimed he was fired because his wife was running for city council. He claimed that the mayor, the opposing city councilman, and the sanitation department director conspired to fire him.

We found the trio not guilty because the plaintiff had theories but no real evidence to back up his claim.

The sanitation department claimed to fire the man because he was on preunion probation and he was a combative employee. So instead of allowing him a full time union job after his initial probationary period, they let him go.

The fact his wife was also running for city council was merely coincidental to his termination.

I really really enjoyed myself during the trial. Seriously! It really upsets me to hear about people who try to avoid jury duty because its an inconvenience.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 07:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
I've been called many times, never chosen. That must be from my glacial demeanor or maybe my red blouse. I was at least selected to go the the courtroom once, but then the trial was (whatever the word) dismissed.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 08:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I really really enjoyed myself during the trial. Seriously! It really upsets me to hear about people who try to avoid jury duty because its an inconvenience.

I feel the same way.

It's a civic duty.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 08:11 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

I was called for the first time in January, here in Florida you don’t wait until your number is called, you have to appear. Out of about 50 people we were down to 15 and I thought for sure I would be picked but I wasn’t. I really wouldn’t have minded if I had been picked I was prepared to do my civil duty.

In Texas, or at least Travis county, you do it all online.
When you get called, they tell you were to go, what case you're assigned to, all that.

Your impaneled and all these other big words. I was disappointed when the case was settled right before.
Roberta

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 09:27 pm
Called many times. Selected for several juries. Was in the emergency room instead of in court on the last trial I was impaneled on.

I will never be called again--medical reasons.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 04:44 am
In less than a year and a half, I will be beyond the age of compulsory service. I am wondering if they will simply quit sending me summons, or if I will need to tell them whether or not I can serve?
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2011 10:55 am
@chai2,
Quote:
I was disappointed when the case was settled right before.

The last time I received a jury notice, I had to call-in to find out if my number was in a needed pool of potential jurors. On the third day of calling-in, they said to report and I spent a day sitting around before I was selected to be on a jury. The next day, when I returned to sit on the jury, they announced the case had been settled. I was so disappointed, I asked the judge if I could volunteer to sit on another jury. He just laughed and said you can't serve again for several years.
0 Replies