Transcript of a Court Case

gollum

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 03:21 pm
I believe a transcript is made of local, state, and federal court cases in the United States by a court stenographer.

Can any citizen purchase any transcript?

Is the seller the court or the stenographer herself?

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 03:56 pm
@gollum,
The stenographer is an officer of the court. So clearly he or she isn't selling the transcript.

But each court is probably different. Each according to their jurisdiction: 50 states (50 different policies) plus the federal level.

You might have to send in a FOIA application (Freedom of Information Act) to get a copy of the transcript.

Go to the courts website and look it up there.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 05:48 pm
@gollum,
It might not be cheap as I am not sure that all courts transcripts are turn into plain english from that tape until there is a request to do so.

As had been said already on this thread check with the court in question.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 12:22 am
@gollum,
I am a court stenographer (court reporter).

A stenographic record is made of all court procedings by the attending court reporter. Unless there is a ban on publication, a restriction on access or something similar, a typed transcript of any court proceedings is available to anyone, for a fee payable directly to that attending court reporter. A typed transcript is never prepared unless there is such a request.

Fees vary, depending upon the jurdisdiction, so contact the court in question, who will put you in touch with the court reporter.
roger

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 01:12 am
@mckenzie,
Long time no see. New dog in the avatar?
gollum

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 06:04 pm
@mckenzie,
mckenzie-
Thank you. I believe your reply is the most helpful.

Of the four persons to reply, only you are a court reporter.

You state that the fee is payable directly to that attending court reporter. Your statement contradicts the other answerers. As a court reporter you would know.

Perhaps the correct answer varies with the particular municipality, county, state, or federal government.

You are silent on who sets the price of the transcript. The government entity? The particular court reporter? Does the court reporter get a salary and benefits also? The general rule of law is that if an employer pays an employee than the fruit of the labor belongs to the employer.
mckenzie

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 08:20 pm
@roger,
Hi, Roger, yes, it has been a long time. How are you doing?

No, the dog's not new. That's Maxwell Smart, our 10-year-old miniature poodle.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 09:09 pm
@gollum,
Speaking for myself, when I was a government employee and attended court, my fees were set by the government, with the transcript fees being payable to myself, as transcript was prepared on the evenings and weekends. Transcript fees vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but in any jurisdiction that I am aware of, those fees are still paid directly to the court reporter.

I have been a freelance reporter for years. I do not work for the government and do not attend court. I am paid a per diem fee for attendance at depositions, hearings and what have you. The transcript fees are not set by the government and are dependent upon the service that I am asked to provide by the law firm, board or commission that hires me.
0 Replies