Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 06:40 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
jerkyness is in the eye of the beholder
it takes one to know one...
does that make everyone a jerk?

Of course.

Don't you know someone that you think is a jerk that everyone else seems to like? Aren't there people who think you are a jerk.

We are all jerks in someone's eyes. But, you shouldn't let that bother you.

Perhaps we are all jerks in some ones eyes, and that is exactly what bothers me... I don't want to be a jerk even if I feel I am responding in kind to a jerk, and if some one thinks I am a jerk, then I want to make certain that is not the case and that they are mistaken..
Fido

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 06:42 pm
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

fido, you're a self proclaimed pessimist, but you think that statement is wrong??? jerk... Laughing
I can get sort of pessimistic... I do not always stay there... Thanks
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 06:43 pm
@Fido,
fido, heres another cruel truth. you have no choice on affecting others opinions of you, if they do not wish it to happen.
Fido

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2011 07:02 pm
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

fido, heres another cruel truth. you have no choice on affecting others opinions of you, if they do not wish it to happen.
One does what one can... I mean; what would be the point of following the sermon when it made no difference in my life the last time I heard it...
hamilton

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 05:56 am
@Fido,
according to the butterfly affect, everything has an affect on your life, in some way or another...
Fido

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 06:20 am
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

according to the butterfly affect, everything has an affect on your life, in some way or another...
Every effect has at least one cause, but not every potential cause has an effect... It is like Quantum Physics... And event must be the result of energy reaching a certain level within a certain time frame or nothing occurs... Look at the development of nuclear weapons... All of the material for the two bombs had to be assembled quickly before detonation at the correct intensity would occur, and then the reaction was over is a microsecond... Because of the nuclear material involved, one could basically be shot together with a gun, and the other had to be much faster and the rusult of a lensed explostion, with many shaped charges... Prototype computers were used on that divice... So, if you look at all the factors put together, which was a complex event concluded by an out of control nuclear reaction, a lot of things might have went wrong, and the thing have been a dud from a practical point of view... Every single part of the activity leading up to the event would have had a cause and an effect, but some of the effects may have ended with the cause... It is like saying: A brick fell on the floor... That could be a cause... What is the effect??? It could be the same as the cause: the brick fell on the floor, and it could be something other: Some one tripped on the brick that feel on the floor; or : Some one had to pick up the brick... Or life could have gone on unchanged in an situation not similar or the same...
hamilton

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 07:48 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

hamilton wrote:

A brick fell on the floor... That could be a cause... What is the effect???
earthquakes in japan.
Fido

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 10:34 am
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

Fido wrote:

hamilton wrote:

A brick fell on the floor... That could be a cause... What is the effect???
earthquakes in japan.
For the want of a nail...

In retrospect, as it seems logic is to me, we can tell cause and effect... When we try to push it into the distance of time and place the explanation does not so much explain as it defies belief..
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 01:58 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

This is going to sound obnoxious but I don't mean it exactly that way. I just wonder.

I take some (not all) of the plethora of philosophic threads here as faux innocente questioning and, as a group, I find those threads annoying. They seem to be all posted by people of sixteen in love with the idea of being philosophers, but I suppose the posters can be multiples of that age, still quaintly wording and wending.

Can't any of you talk straight? It is like the octopuses' garden but filled with poseurs who mean well, bumping and bumping.

Have you found that we have a Group here called the philosophy forum? (see in the blue banner above)
http://groups.able2know.org/philforum/

Ok, ok, I'm a jerk.

You may pass, Hamilton, as you seem to have a toe on the street, but keep pressing it to the pavement.
I am with you 100% on this!
hamilton

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 02:14 pm
@Arella Mae,
thats mean.... jerk Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 02:16 pm
@Arella Mae,
I have to add that Hamilton also has a really good sense of humor, which I consider a function of perspective. So, he or she fails to qualify as a jerk.
hamilton

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 06:34 pm
@ossobuco,
1) he
2) thank you, ossobuco, for that ringing endorsement.
HEAR THAT GUYS??? IM NOT A JERK!!!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 06:38 pm
@hamilton,
<grins>
hamilton

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 06:41 pm
@ossobuco,
your post made me smile today. thats going on that topic.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 08:39 pm
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

1) he
2) thank you, ossobuco, for that ringing endorsement.
HEAR THAT GUYS??? IM NOT A JERK!!!
Perhaps he means by that, that you are a jerkette, or a jerkatrix, or a bubbajerk, or a jerksquid, or a republican...
ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 08:40 pm
@Fido,
Wrong, and I am female.

As I have told you before, Fido, I often thumb you up. Sometimes I disagree, occasionally strongly. So it goes. I think anyone worth their salt here disagrees with a lot of posts.

I try hard to not thumb down out of disagreement. Only for insults. I am known to myself to thumb up well argued posts I disagree with. I'm no saint so I don't do that tons of times, but I do that.
Fido

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 08:47 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Wrong, and I am female.
I thought female were always right... They are in my house, and I better not forget it...
ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 08:50 pm
@Fido,
I think I know you love your wife so I'll not natter at you, Mr. Chips.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 08:52 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Wrong, and I am female.

As I have told you before, Fido, I often thumb you up. Sometimes I disagree, occasionally strongly. So it goes. I think anyone worth their salt here disagrees with a lot of posts.

I try hard to not thumb down out of disagreement. Only for insults.
I haven't figured out how to use my thumb yet... I will try to get it unstuck from my butt... That's an intelligence test... If I were a republican I would have to figure out how to get a boot or a hood ornament out, so I ought to be able to handle it, no pun intended... Do they still have hood ornaments???
ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2011 08:54 pm
@Fido,
The Mr. Chips comment was a little low, bitchy, I'll admit - not re the old book or movie but re chips on shoulder.

Peace, eh?