Christian ideas - any answers welcome!

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 03:23 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Frank,

I was not suggesting "honesty" can be sentient but rather the person. Since honesty can't be sentient I thought it obvious that the person was being described.

Let me re-phrase it in simpler terms.

"Honesty" about a subjective issue can lead to two vastly different conclusions.

"Honesty" is also no aid when someone is not aware of something.

So all the honesty in the world won't help someone admit they are wrong if they do not agree that they are wrong (in a subjective issue) or if they are not aware that they are wrong (when it's not subjective).

It's a simple statement Frank, and is only "laughable" when you misinterpret it as much as you have done.

I didn't misinterpret it -- you simply didn't make yourself clear.

And since you seem to be aching for an argument -- allow me to accomodate you: I still think your comments here are laughable.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 03:42 pm
Frank, I'm not looking for an argument. The statement was simple. If you want to fault me for your misinterpretation that's fine with me.

And feel free to consider it laughable as well.

Neither issue is (to me) sufficient cause for debate, or argument so you''ll have to pick a fight elsewhere.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 04:08 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Frank, I'm not looking for an argument. The statement was simple. If you want to fault me for your misinterpretation that's fine with me.

This one is even more laughable.

I did not misinterpret what you said -- I simply read what you said -- and if you were trying to say something else, you did a piss poor job of it. As an aside, however, I am willing to agree with you that the statement was "simple" -- although I doubt we mean the same thing with that.

But for you to attempt to characterize my take on that silly, poorly constructed sentence as a misinterpretation simply reinforces the opinion I expressed when you accused me of that bullschit over in the other thread where you were arguing with Mech.

You are a goddam liar.

Quote:
And feel free to consider it laughable as well.

Thanks, I will.

I have to, actually.

When I read it, I laughed out loud.

Of course, I have a fairly well developed sense of humor -- and you often tickle me pink.

Quote:
Neither issue is (to me) sufficient cause for debate, or argument so you''ll have to pick a fight elsewhere.

Good. Then I can expect that this will not go on any further.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 04:20 pm
Like I said, Frank, I was not looking for an argument. You'll have to get your fix with someone else or start a topic worthy of argument.

:wink:

It should be plain to you now that your cartoonish insults do more for you than for me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 04:56 pm
For anyone who finds their way here, and wonders just what the hell any of this has to do with the subject in the title, might i invite you to another thread?

Christian Ideas Redux[/color]
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 07:08 pm
craven- The thought posed by Jesus was that it would be easier for a GAML to go through the eye of a needle.
Whether a rope or a camel both are difficult.
We can try an experiment. ill get a hawser and some needles, you get a camel. ill bet neither of us gets the needle threaded or cameled.

this same conversation, with a greater level of scholarship was going on at that site that Frank laid down. Must be some ancient Grecian SCholars Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 10:38 am
No kidding farmerman. Rolling Eyes

And like I said, some really contend that he did mean camel and was not trying to illustrate difficulty but absurd impossibility.

But this is getting more and more like a head of a pin argument. I won't waste much time defending other people's interpretations of what Jebus was supposed to have said.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 06:31 pm
You say absurd impossibility, I say showmanship.

jesus was a teacher, preacher, and showman. hes dealing with the uneducated and tradespeople. hes making a point they can relate to/

You cant stick an Abrams tank in a paper shredder. (true but without any point of congruence to most people)

You cant stick a sheet of plywood into a paper shredder (makes more sense as some kind of analogy)

sFW?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 06:40 pm
Farmerman,

I agree, and your comments should probably be directed at the people I mention as I won't be defending their position for them (mainly because of the "head of a pin" feeling).
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 07:21 pm
No, farmerman, Jesus was anything but a showman.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 06:34 am
sermon on the mount?
The wedding at Canaan
The cleansing of the Temple?

jesus had acquired , in 3 years of his alleged ministry, more opportunity to present his points of "Love thy neighb or" in front of large crowds than most other rabbis., and, he did it in an entertaining way, otherwise why did ythe crowds stay with him through long teachings?
Remember that scene in "Life of Brian" where there are a number of people waaay back at the sermon on the mount and they couldnt hear well so they interpreted the sermon

'I think he said blessed are the cheesemakers"
"well that makes absolutely no sense"
"i believe he is saying that those are blessed who deal in dairy products"
I mean no disrespect but Im trying to relate the methods of his ministry to modern evangelical preachers.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 06:40 am
Very Happy Well, if that's true, then I must add another dimension to Jesus--a sense of humor. He wept; he became angry; and he went to a party, and provided the wine.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 06:57 am
i fully agree.
0 Replies

Seeker

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 08:16 am
Wow! I come back a short while after setting up this forum and find two full pages - that's fantastic! Rolling Eyes

Relating to the talents parable brought up a while ago - I always interpreted it that Jesus was talking about the chances we are given and the skills we have, and using them to make life worthwhile. Did everybody else always assume it was about money? Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

I was wondering - I have a remote (note:REMOTE - the first application proccess isn't even finished yet, but I want to think about it before it's too late!) chance of going on an expedition to the High Arctic this year, organized by a TV crew to be made into a documentary. The trip would be a tough three week expedition over Easter - so how would you celebrate Easter trekking in the high arctic? Would it be a problem? What do you think Jesus would say?
0 Replies

Seeker

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 09:45 am
I have just read a post on the extension of this forum which made me realise I have not been clear. I understand that talents were a type of money and that the word did not mean skills - I meant that I thought the money was an analagy [/color]and that Jesus wasn't really talking about making ourselves richer. The cities the good servants then recieve - aren't they happiness in the future life?

Which makes me think - surely the idea that the first servant got more cities than the second is at odds with the parable of the workers in the field who, although they worked different hours, all got the same pay?

P.S.
Some parts of this are in red - this is so that you can scan my message quickly, see the main points and decide whether to read in detail.
0 Replies