Philosophy is a cripple

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 11:03 am
It used to be just fine, but someone came along and smacked it in the head with a dead herring so hard that it now seems to revolve around theistic rejects such as "absolute truth" and semantic orgies about "be-ing and nothingness".

Just an observation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 604 • Replies: 10
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 12:12 pm
@Cyracuz,
Are you sure it didn't smack itself in the head?
thack45

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 12:31 pm
The free will/determinism debates did me in. Course that's what brought me out of the philforum and in to the rest of a2k. (Yeah... sorry about that)
JLNobody

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 01:01 pm
@thack45,
That's a false issue anyway. There's no ego to be free or determined and causes and effects are false segmentations of what are really continua.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 02:28 pm
@rosborne979,
Not sure at all, but it did get smacked. Wink
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 03:28 pm
Philosophy is a cripple. How? like Stephen Hawkin?
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 05:35 pm
@JLNobody,
Funny that you ask, since the idea for the headline came from his statement that philosophy is dead, since it has failed to keep up with the developments in modern science, particularly physics.

I sometimes think that it is strange that we can think of Stephen Hawking as a cripple. He is perhaps one of the most brilliant men alive, but he has some severe physical defects. On the other hand there are people who can barely do their multiplications and who are incapable of the simplest rational thought, and yet they are considered normal and healthy just because there is nothing that is obviously physically wrong with them...
JLNobody

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 08:10 pm
@Cyracuz,
You know, Fresco, might agree that modern physics is catching up with non-dualist philosophy.
vikorr

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 02:16 am
@Cyracuz,
I was never overly interested in absolute truth, be-ing, and nothingness anyway Mr. Green . Thankfully, I have within me a superpower unknown to other philosophy forum users - I don't actually have to click on the link to those topics Shocked Drunk Embarrassed Laughing Confused
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 04:43 am
@JLNobody,
Yes, that is my view also. Smile
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 05:05 am
@vikorr,
I don't have that power... Sad
0 Replies