Basic Probability Question

Quincy

Reply Fri 20 May, 2011 01:57 pm
Hi everyone.

I last did probability about 5yrs ago(?) and I've been trying to refresh my memory of it. Here's a question that has me stumped.

How many ways are there of placing n un-identifiable letters in m mailboxes?

If you can distinguish the letters the answer is quite easy: m^n, because each letter has m possible boxes it can go into.
For this case where the letters are un-identifiable or un-distinguishable, the only way I can think of doing it is the following:

If you have 1 letter there are m ways.

If you have 2 letters there are m ways of putting them all in one box, plus m!/[2!(m-2)!] ways of putting one letter in its own box (m is clearly >= 2 otherwise the problem is trivial).

If you have 3 letters there are m ways of putting all the letters in one box, plus m(m-1) ways of putting 2 letters in one box and the other elsewhere, plus m!/[3!(m-3!)] ways of putting each letter in its own box (provided m >= 3).
Etc. on to higher numbers of letters.

Is this correct? Is there a simpler way of going about it? I ask if there is a simpler way because the case where we can distinguish the letters appears so much easier.

Thank you for any help.

View best answer, chosen by Quincy
markr
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 21 May, 2011 02:30 am
@Quincy,
To the n letters, add m-1 'separators' which will divide the letters into m groups (mailboxes), and lay them all out in a row. There are C(n+m-1, m-1) ways to position the separators. If two separators are adjacent, the mailbox between them is empty.
Quincy

Reply Sat 21 May, 2011 04:59 am
@markr,
markr wrote:

To the n letters, add m-1 'separators' which will divide the letters into m groups (mailboxes), and lay them all out in a row. There are C(n+m-1, m-1) ways to position the separators. If two separators are adjacent, the mailbox between them is empty.

Ah yes, that seems to be correct. Simple, elegant, to the point. I like it. I thought I was doing something wrong with my answer.

Thank you for the help markr. Very Happy
0 Replies