Urgent Notice - is this some type of "fishing"?

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 10:19 am
I received a card in the mail, requesting information for an Alumni Publication. I actually wuold like to include some information if this is legit.

There is a toll-free number asking you to ensure your information is correct and up-to-date. My cousin received one and asked if I was going to call - he called and thought it was legit. Being over cautious about such things, I am hestitate.

Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,079 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 12:07 pm
@Linkat,
I've seen this kinda crap.

Companies make school directories, and are looking to sell them, almost always to alumni. They ask for your info, if you give it, they have your live email and snail mail addresses and will market at you 'til the cows come home. I'm not saying that there is no directory -- there probably is. But if you don't want to be marketed to by them, don't answer them.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 12:40 pm
@jespah,
Whichever company my old high school hired to make a "directory" became a serial spammer in the days leading up the publication date: emails, postcards and phonecalls......grrrrrrr.
I wrote the school (private, don't you know I'm a swell.) and told them if they ever wanted another nickel out of me they should never, ever, never hire any other directory maker.

I think the school supposedly gets a cut from the sales, so who knows.
Joe(we'll know next year)Nation
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 12:42 pm
@Joe Nation,
I went through this same thing. I had to tell the guy that A) I don't want to be included in the directory, B) I don't want to get a directory sent to my house, and C) that they should never contact me again.

They kept asking smarmy questions, like 'Don't you want old friends to be able to look you up?' To which I had to give answers such as 'My old friends don't have to look me up; we're still in contact. Everyone else can DIAF for all I care.'

I seriously question the life choices and mindsets of people who think that High School was the high point in their life.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 19 May, 2011 12:56 pm
Thanks all - at least I can benefit from the bad experiences of others.

So my initial reaction seems to be spot on. I did think it seemed odd that the Alumni Publication would be in Virgina. I just looked at the notice closer and at the side written in very small letters and written sideways says Harris Connect, LLC.

I did a quick google search for the name and as I am typing in the name, it shows as a choice Harris Connect Scam - right there I know there is a problem. So I begin reading some of the links. Seems it is legit - as in they really produce alumni publications - but they push really hard on the sell and then it sounds like they may sell your info, and some have accused them of falsing charging them and sending bills when they did not order the publication.

I think I'll skip this.

0 Replies