Need Legal Help in North Carolina

mdmurr

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 07:01 am
Hello, I need some help please. I had to move to Oregon when I got sick and lost my job. Now that I am transient, my husband files for child support and divorce in North Carolina.

We have been separated for 11 years and there is a Mediated Consent Order on file in NC. He has not let me see my children in over NINE years, kept ALL my personal property and there has been no separation of marital assets.

I have diligently tried to find a pro bono attorney to represent me in court, because I have no way to travel to NC from Oregon. I called Legal Aid in North Carolina and they would not help me. I went to Legal Aid in Oregon whose attorney would not even talk to me. I have written the Bar in both states, but they were no help either. I even wrote the attorney generals of NC, OR and USA with no response.

I am a full time college student with no income. My children have grown up without thier mother, and I without them. I'm trying to get visitation, modification of support, joint custody, return of property, equitable distribution, Parental Alienation of Affection, Criminal Conversation, divorce, attorneys fees, court costs, travel expenses, and alimony.

He filed for divorce and child support separately, probably on purpose, just like he waited to file after I had to leave NC and have no way to get back. Why is he allowed to manipulate the court system? Why don't I have any rights because I am poor? This is America, isn't there supposed to be fair and equal Justice for all?

I requested extension on support hearing, but they proceeded without me. I requested to be heard by telephone, but I do not know if the court will allow that. I requested modification, suspension, termination, but it was dismisssed because I could not afford to travel to NC form OR. I have filed responses and the divorce part was dismissed, except now he hired an attorney and claim "laches?" Seems to me if they claims "laches" against me, then "laches" should apply to him also! He is the one who waited all this time for file for divorce and support. They requested the court dismiss my response and counterclaim. I have no idea what to do next. I cannot even locate a form to file response to the court and attorney for all the denials they claim.

Can you point me in the right direction or do you know anyone that can help?

Sincerely,
Marya D. Murr
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,130 • Replies: 1
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 07:28 am
The only thing I can suggest is that you contact a large church near your children and see if they can help you out.

You don't seem to have a stable source of income or a housing situation to ask for custody, but you should have visitation rights, even if they are monitored.

Can you just start there - with visitation?

You will somehow have to get to the kids, they can't be expected to travel to you.

Good luck, perhaps you can start with emailing them or writing or some other kind of communication. After nine years, start slowly and work up to a relationship.
0 Replies