Dreaming

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 05:47 pm
What is the substance of a dream, despite random arrangements and sequences of chemical influx and various contributing factors.
When we sleep, why are we not free, yet we are ever still chained in misery to the complexity and variant dimensionality of our mental spectrum, our minds wandering gait.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,526 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 13 May, 2011 05:58 pm
@Tifinden,
In what sense is the "wandering gate" of dreaming "miserable" ? Dreaming seems to be as far as I can tell a very necessary function towards maintaining your mental wealth...specially that wandering part of yours in which the sense of no conscious control might bring the best on your otherwise limited and constrain creative process...
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Tue 17 May, 2011 06:14 pm
@Tifinden,
Tifinden wrote:

What is the substance of a dream, despite random arrangements and sequences of chemical influx and various contributing factors.
When we sleep, why are we not free, yet we are ever still chained in misery to the complexity and variant dimensionality of our mental spectrum, our minds wandering gait.

you forgot to add a question mark...
i dont think that we really know what it means to be "free"
if we did(or are), why am i still here, and not somewhere else?
0 Replies

G H

Reply Wed 18 May, 2011 11:30 am
@Tifinden,
Quote:

All it requires to be "free" in a dream is to realize that one is dreaming. But most people probably tend to wake-up when that happens rather than diverge into a new phase of lucid-dreaming (where they have control of circumstances). So if there are beneficial reasons for sleep / dreaming, then it's in the best interest of the brain to fool and regulate its virtually embodied avatar into believing that s/he is still participating in a world caused by an external environment rather than one produced from stored data. That includes constantly modifying the memories of the avatar so that it does not detect or manage to hang onto the inconsistencies of dream-life until one awakes and remembers the events with an intact overview (and/or scrutiny of them with the logic of waking life).
0 Replies