Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 07:04 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,268 • Replies: 47
No top replies

RicardoTizon

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 07:41 pm
Art is one that makes us different from all other species. We are the only ones who can appreciate art.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 08:07 pm
and, like ants, we are one of but a few species that detroys its own species
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 08:11 pm
Quote:
Have you ever wondered what distinguishes us from animals?

No. We are animals.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 09:10 pm
Oooh...didn't think about art. Does anyone know of any other animals that enjoy art?
I would assume that testing whether or not animals appreciated art is fairly difficult.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 09:23 pm
First of all, we had successfully taught Ruby the elephant how to create art. But it's incredibly doubtful that she really knew what she was doing. So let's move on to this indisputable fact: not all people like the same art. We see the same behavior in animals, one will become creative and fashions some new sculpture while another becomes irate and destroys it.

Now that I think about it, my dogs used to do the same thing and I just thought it was playfulness. I could be crazy by thinking that my dog was creating art, but who actually decides what art is in the first place?

If you define art for me in a way that cannot be argued, I'll find proof that animals create art. Until then, we are no different from animals.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:00 pm
I think our fleshy butts distinguish us from the other animals. That, and our belief that the entire universe was created especially for us.

And also, although we are apparently the only species with an awareness that we will die, we tend to deny the finality of it.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:44 pm
Greyfan's comments are pure comedy! They're probably so funny because they're true.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:48 pm
However, the problem with trying to find any traits that humans have but animals don't is that we usually can't test for those traits in animals. How do we know that ants don't have a mighty scripture that tells how antonai created the heavens and the hills for ants to inhabit?

The only real counter-point that I can bring up for Greyfan is that both elephants and primates are aware of death and tend to regard it with the same feelings that we do.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:56 pm
"Human";
that's easy, a species of ape with relatively little hair, when you can see their skin, that is because they usually have it covered with some hideously patterned cloth, and they don't seem to realize how ridiculous they look.
And they are completely preoccupied with themselves, as if the other inhabitants of this planet don't matter a damn, unless they are stealing their skins to wear, or slitting their throats to eat them, or killing them with hideous disseases, so they can find out how to cure themselves.
Not very bright, i would say!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 12:15 am
I also believe we are animals, but many are not as civilized as the ones in the wild.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 01:11 am
we're animals. just smarter. as a determist, i don't believe that we are any more self aware than most other mammals. other mammals certainly know that they exist. sure we can view the world from other's perspectives but so can animals. you're telling that an elephant that risks it's life to save a baby elephant that it isn't even related to can't look at the world from another's perspective. humans have plenty of inborn instincts, the desire to have sex and procreate being the primary one.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 06:15 am
Some say humans don't have instincts.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 07:09 am
Individual

I see you made no objection to the fleshy posterior point.

I believe that may be our most distinguishing feature as a species.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 07:45 am
Greyfan

Did ya ever see a greyback gorilla's ass?
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 08:11 am
http://www.photo.net/photo/pcd1641/gorilla-walking-in-sun-54.tcl

Compared to your average human posterior, its no contest.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 09:44 am
Yeah, but you oughta see him when he stands up straight!
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 08:11 pm
Centroles wrote:
you're telling that an elephant that risks it's life to save a baby elephant that it isn't even related to can't look at the world from another's perspective.

I never said that, but I do agree with the statement. The elephant is just responding to a natural instinct. However, I do believe it is possible that elephants may be able to see the world in a different perspective.

Centroles wrote:
we're animals. just smarter

If you were placed in the middle of an African desert, would you be able to match the intelligence of it's native animals and manage to survive?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 07:45 pm
truth
What is "human"? That's easy; it's what we call ourselves.
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:18 am
We are animals. We are living creatures that are probably less civilized than most of what we consider 'animals' to be. We will all one day die. We have (although it really is insignificant anyway) done more to destroy this planet's ecology as we know it.

Very little to nothing distinguishes us from 'the animals.' Without meaning to offend, I'd like to point out that this is the same kind of blind arrogance that brings about the question, "what is the meaning of life?" The answer, of course, is that there is no real meaning, save perhaps to procreate and further our species, which we manage to sidestep by instead preferring to further ourselves as individuals. And don't think that by that I am against selfishness! Laughing

I could be wrong...and please correct me if I am.

Oh, before I forget... thanks for the warm welcome you extended before, Frank...I forgot to thank you before.
0 Replies