What sort of pasta dish should we make?

Linkat

Wed 11 May, 2011 10:33 am
My daughter is doing a history project on Italy. Each child in the middle school chose a country and they are each preparing a dish from their respective country. My daughter (with my prompting) chose a pasta dish.

So what should we make? At first I thought we'd be really ambitious and make 4 dishes from the various areas of Italy. Now with so much going on and seeing this is next Tuesday, I figured maybe two dishes. This of course is not required, but I have a need to over do things.

Anyone what would be a good dish to feed 6 – 8 servings? It should be easy to transport and I’d imagine it would have to taste good with reheating. Ideally I’d like us to cook it on Sunday, if we have time depending on basketball state tournament that day – so we may have to make it on Monday night. That leaves out any long cooking sauces. I’d also like it to be simple as my daughter is cooking along and likeable by most tweens/teens.

laughoutlood

Wed 11 May, 2011 08:10 pm
@Linkat,
No, you may not have my secret recipe for spag bol.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Wed 11 May, 2011 09:09 pm
@Linkat,
Lasagna! It would be a great mother/daughter project to work on. Lots of steps and pieces to put together. It also tastes much better the next day so you can make it anytime, freeze it, and then take it out two days before to thaw in the fridge.

Butrflynet

Wed 11 May, 2011 09:12 pm
@Butrflynet,
Here's a 12-serving recipe from Lidia Bastianich. You could divide it in two and make them in 9x9 pans. Then you'll have one for the family and one for the school.

http://www.lidiasitaly.com/recipes/detail/701
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Wed 11 May, 2011 09:14 pm
@Linkat,
Just make simple spaghetti - with olive oil and roasted bacon. Take some
good parmesan cheese with you (the shredded one from Trader Joe's is good
and cheap.

If you want a second dish, bring some antipasti - sliced salami, olives, red peppers in olive oil, foccacia bread etc. (all available at Trader Joe's).

0 Replies

Mame

Wed 11 May, 2011 09:47 pm
Here's an easy one, direct from Italy:

cook some pasta, doesn't matter which kind, could even be tortellini or ravioli
spread some butter on it
shave some parmesan on it
drape some sage leaves over it

can be reheated

cheap, easy, fast... you're a winner, how can you lose?

PS NEVER EVER EVER rinse off your pasta - just toss some oil in it to separate it - the sauce will stick better to the unwashed pasta.
Eva

Wed 11 May, 2011 09:55 pm
@Mame,
I do the same thing, Mame, only with basil leaves instead of sage.
Mame

Wed 11 May, 2011 10:15 pm
@Eva,
Mmmmm, love me some basil! We're finally getting into gardening season here, but can't plant outside until June 1st, so I have some basil started (seed), as well as sage. Both are great, you're right. You try it with sage leaves (only fresh!) and I'll try it with basil and let's report back in two weeks.
CalamityJane

Wed 11 May, 2011 10:36 pm
Yeah girls, but we're talking kids here - they don't eat sage or basil...
Linkat

Thu 12 May, 2011 07:26 am
Thanks all some great ideas. I will bring them to my daughter and see what she thinks. I like both of the ideas the simple pasta with sage/basil - I'm thinking more kids would like basil. I like sage - but it seems that has a bit more stronger taste. Of course the basic lasagne is good as well.

There is one girl with milk alergies so I thinking one non-cheese dish - maybe like suggested fresh parma on the side so she could have some.
Old Goat

Thu 12 May, 2011 07:40 am
I go with Lasagne, the most ancient of all pastas.

I learned only yesterday that the Romans used to make lasagne pasta as a way of preserving wheat until it was needed. The flat sheets being perfect for storage, taking up as little space as possible.

I also learned that one can store octopi in one's speedos when snorkel hunting, as long as the beak is removed of course.
Eva

Thu 12 May, 2011 08:33 am
@Mame,
Good idea! Two weeks it is.

Right now I barely have time to eat, much less cook. The school year finishes up next week, and I'll have more time after that.

Re: parmesan....must be reggiano, right? Only the good stuff will do when a dish is as simple as this one.
0 Replies

Eva

Thu 12 May, 2011 08:35 am
@CalamityJane,
A lot of kids I know eat basil...pesto sauce, etc. Sage, however, is a bit more of an adult taste for most of them.
0 Replies

JPB

Thu 12 May, 2011 08:42 am
@Linkat,
I was going to suggest cannolis or something eaten at room temp so you wouldn't have to compete with other folks for a microwave. Is everyone bringing in something the same day? If so, I'd suggest a pasta salad of some type and a rt dessert.
Linkat

Thu 12 May, 2011 08:44 am
@JPB,
Yeah - it is a big lunch - maybe I could get a big crock pot to keep it warm?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Thu 12 May, 2011 09:01 am
@Old Goat,
Where you live, they haven't seen an octopi alive in centuries....show off!!
----

Right girls, some kids like pesto and basil (my kid being one of them) but
all her friends won't touch it as I had found out the hard way...
0 Replies

firefly

Tue 17 May, 2011 01:59 pm
@Linkat,
What dish did you decide on?
Linkat

Tue 17 May, 2011 02:44 pm
@firefly,
Got back from the lunch about 3 hours ago - I or rather we did a spaghetti bolongenese (however you spell it). It was a crazy weekend. We had the state tournaments Sat and Sun and unfortunately my grandmom passed away so I had the wake on Sun and funeral 8am on Monday.

I was so tired after all that - after getting home on Monday, I crashed and slept a good two hours. My daughter and then went out and got the ingret. and made the dish. I ended up making double - as I didn't want anyone to go without - there was half left over - so I guess on the plus side we have dinner tonight.

I bought really good cheese and grated it myself - like someone suggested above.
Butrflynet

Tue 17 May, 2011 04:53 pm
@Linkat,
Sorry to hear about your grandmother, Linkat. I hope you have good memories and that it will get easier to remember them as time goes by.
firefly

Tue 17 May, 2011 10:21 pm
@Linkat,
I'm very sorry to hear about your grandmother too, Linkat.

After such a hectic, and emotional, several days, you must still be somewhat tired. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the fruits of your labor for dinner tonight. Sounds very tasty.