Archery anyone?

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 10:36 am
Summer is looming large so we're looking for something fun and different for Mo to try during the break. He's decided that he would like to try archery.

There is an archery shop with a shooting range near my house and I'll be calling them for some information soon. Before I do that I thought that it might be nice to hear from people who are involved in archery.

Are there any archers in the house?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,304 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 10:47 am
@boomerang,
I believe annis is an archer.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 11:07 am
I read this as "Anarchy anyone?" . . . and thought, man, that school is really gettin' on Boom's last nerve.

My grandfather has a long bow, a genuine long bow, six feet long before it was strung. He could draw the bow, but it takes a hell of a lot of practice, and i never succeeded in drawing that bow.

Years later, though, i worked a lot with short bows. Even those take a lot to draw and hold. My arms would be exhausted after about 15 minutes. After more than a year (with four months off for winter), i had gotten to the point at which i could draw the bow, hold, aim and loose for a couple of hours at a time. I got pretty good at it, but i've not done it in donkey's years.

EDIT: Oops . . . so my point is, it isn't something one really embarks upon casually. Can you go to the archery range and use one of their bows so that you're sure before you drop a bundle on this?
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 01:20 pm
@boomerang,
BBB was a pro archer as a teen. Either her cousin or one of her friends competed as an archer in the Olympics. Others were Olympic fencers.

I'll tell BBB about your thread and see if she wants to post anything that might be helpful for Mo. She may not get to it until tomorrow.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 01:25 pm
@Butrflynet,
I found an old post she wrote about her archery experience:

http://able2know.org/topic/27827-1
boomerang

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 03:16 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks for the link to that lovely post! I'd love to see photos of BBB from that time of her life.
boomerang

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 03:26 pm
@Setanta,
Well I am letting loose a bit of anarchy on the school. I've avoided talking about it here because I'm tired of whatshername tagging all my threads with helicoptering.

But back to archery....

I'm hoping that the range has rentals, or that an instructor will have a variety of bows, etc. that Mo can try out. I really don't want to spend a bunch of money on it at the start. (He really wanted to go to the shooting range but he's too young.)

So.... long bows = difficult, short bows = easier.

Mr. B has an old bow somewhere out in the garage, I think he called it a recursive bow. Do you know anything about those?
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 03:55 pm
@boomerang,
Not sure if there are any photos from back then. I remember seeing some of her as a young child, but I only remember teenage photos from her high school yearbooks.

I did a search on the archer she mentions in her post, Howard Hill, and found these on youtube. Am looking around to see if I can find any mention of her family related to the 1939 World's Fair.

Here's a website dedicated to him. This page lists all his archery achievements:

http://www.howardhillarchery.com/the-legends-story.html
boomerang

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 05:41 pm
@Butrflynet,
Those films are fabulous! There is something very sexy about men of that era. Sir Edmund Hillary climbing Mt. Everest without all the oxygen tanks and special equipment, this guy being so exact with bows that seem so primitive by today's standards.

I'm sure the men think the women who could do that were sexy too! They were surely swooning over BBB!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 06:46 pm
Recurve not recursive.
For a little guy I suspect that a compound bow would be the best.

I dabbled a little but mostly for the purpouse of making the bows. I have some fine fine osage orange in the shed still. Osage orange is the wood used by the Osage indians when making a bow.

Gungasnake has some archery experience I think.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 07:01 pm
@Butrflynet,
The longbow Oz video might need some parental guidance.

3.34 the f word slips in
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 02:45 am
@boomerang,
Recurves can be long bows or short bows, but usually short bows. Ordinarily, they are harder to draw than any bow of the same size which is not recurved.
dadpad

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 04:35 am
@Setanta,
Not sure about this but i believe recurve bows were originally developed for horseback hunting. The long bow was too long and unweildy to fire effectivly especially when a fast change of sides was required.
Setanta

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 04:44 am
@dadpad,
I believe you are right about that, and what's more, they were the first "composite" bows, being made with strips of wood, rawhide and bone glued together.

http://www.wildwoodarchery.com.au/images/horse_bows/mongol/hero.jpg

This gentleman is using a Mongol bow, and it's a recurve.

http://www.recurvebowshop.com/pictures/traditional%20recurve%20bows/mongol%20bow/mongol%20recurve%20bow2.jpg

This image shows the recurve better, since the bows are not drawn.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 04:56 am
@boomerang,
for a number of years my cousin did pretty well as amateur archer, he travelled around competing, he won some cash and other prizes

it's funny, we didn't know he did it until my dad was channel surfing one day and came across an archery competition on TSN and there he was
0 Replies