Philosophy- What Do we See?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 07:28 am
@Thomas,
Thomas you seem to miss that explaining a phenomena does not amount to experiencing the phenomena...explaining the wavelength of light is not what light is in our brain...experiencing is different from say mathematically or medically describing...an equation is not "blue", there´s a transformation process in between.
Besides. "blue" very much depends just as much on the optical apparatus of the receptor as on light...not to mention the context thing which if you care to search you will find it to be accurate.

regards>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE
Thomas

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 07:36 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
Thomas you seem to miss that explaining a phenomena does not amount to experiencing the phenomena...explaining the wavelength of light is not what light is in our brain...experiencing is different from say mathematically or medically describing...an equation is not "blue", there´s a transformation process in between.

I do understand that. My point is that we can study this transformation process from the outside, using microscopes, MRIs, and other such instruments. Based on what our study finds, we can then decide if it's the same or not for you and me.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 07:39 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Let me just put it in other terms...light in the back of a space sailing ship is nor blue or red is just pressure...you need the receptor to establish the function of what is being there phenomenologically...you need the function to establish what is being experienced.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 07:40 am
@Thomas,
Then accurately you should know that it is n´t the same although certainly very similar...
Thomas

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 07:49 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
Then accurately you should know that it is n´t the same although certainly very similar...

If that's what our MRI-movies of your and Joe's visual cortex say, yes.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 02:06 pm
Of course reductionism is not "wrong" but it does minimize (or reduce) the phenomenon in question to "lower strata" of reality for the sake of answering certain kinds of questions. As I said earlier we should not ignore the reality of colour-as-experience. That's where so much of its value lies.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 02:06 pm
Of course reductionism is not "wrong" but it does minimize (or reduce) the phenomenon in question to "lower strata" of reality for the sake of answering certain kinds of questions. As I said earlier we should not ignore the reality of colour-as-experience. That's where so much of its value lies.
0 Replies

north

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 10:30 pm
@loopylu15,
loopylu15 wrote:

What do we see with our own eyes?
An Example: I could say that the colour I see is Blue. However, it is just a noun for this colour. To someone else the blue I see could be completley different. To them it could be my version of Green. But we can never know as Colour is unexplainable.

colour is a wave length of light

and the colour that we see is the result of the all other wave lengths of light absorbed by the object and the wave length of light reflected back to us by the object is what is NOT absorbed by the object

your , our ability to see this certain colour is determined the the colour cones in our eyes

zt09

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 04:01 am
@north,
Quote:
your , our ability to see this certain colour is determined the the colour cones in our eyes

Yes, and by other specific features of our brain and eyes constitution. And there are other interesting aspects of the problem. The question is what was meant by the original question.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 10:00 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
It's easy? Fine. How would you describe "blue" to a person who is blind from birth?

I would describe "vision" in terms of analogies with his sense of touch. Then I'd describe "color" in terms of analogies with sound, or perhaps with radio. To be sure, it would take a while, and the person's understanding of colour would remain imperfect. But it wouldn't be a deep mystery to him.

That's not describing a color, that's describing a process. After that explanation, the blind person would have some idea of how sight works, but would still have no clue what "blue" is.

Thomas wrote:
Let me rephrase the question: By what tests would you decide what the visual experience of blue is, and that "blue perceived by Joe" is identical to "blue perceived by Fil"?

I'm not sure such a test is possible -- but then that was my point from the very beginning. If we give two people a number of differently colored swatches and ask them to point to the one that is blue, they would probably choose the same one, but we wouldn't know if they're both seeing the same color. One, for instance, might see "green" where the other sees "blue," and vice versa. They, however, would agree on what is "blue."

Thomas wrote:
No, because my definition requires an incoming signal from the photoreceptors for 460-nm lighwaves, through the optical nerve, into the visual cortex. If her visual cortex can't detect or process the signal, she's blind.

That's fine. Just checking to see how much of a materialist you were.
joefromchicago

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 10:07 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
The near-infrared light, of course. Obviously you've sorted the lightbulbs in order of increasing wavelength, each 100-200 nm longer than the other. Near-infrared, perhaps 800nm, is the next obvious choice.

Who said I sorted the lightbulbs, or that they are in any order? I just said there's a series of buttons and a series of bulbs. I didn't say anything about how they were arranged. Would you like to take another try?

Thomas wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
That certain light wavelengths yield the color "blue?" How would these color-blind physicists know what "blue" is?

They have defined blue to mean "whatever wavelength stimulates type-blue photoreceptors like the ones we've just examined under our electron microscope". Additionally, the color-blind physicists could test the soundness of their definition by shining a 460-nm light onto non-colorblind persons and asking them: "What color is this light?"

And thus you prove my point. The only way that these scientists would know what type-blue receptors are is by first knowing what blue is. And how would they check their results? As you say, by asking a non-color blind person.
Thomas

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 11:53 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
The near-infrared light, of course. Obviously you've sorted the lightbulbs in order of increasing wavelength, each 100-200 nm longer than the other. Near-infrared, perhaps 800nm, is the next obvious choice.

Who said I sorted the lightbulbs, or that they are in any order? I just said there's a series of buttons and a series of bulbs. I didn't say anything about how they were arranged. Would you like to take another try?

Not really. On what basis do you expect me to guess?

joefromchicago wrote:
And thus you prove my point. The only way that these scientists would know what type-blue receptors are is by first knowing what blue is.

No, they know it categorizing photo-receptors by the kind of wavelength they respond to, and by labelling one of those categories "blue".

joefromchicago wrote:
And how would they check their results? As you say, by asking a non-color blind person.

That's just a shallow consistency check. It doesn't affect the definition in any deep way. If the non-colorblind interviewees said, "no that's actually our red", the color-blind physicists would happily re-label the photoreceptors. But that would only change labels, not the phenomenon the label is on. And shuffling labels around is nothing deeper than a trivial word-usage game.
Thomas

Reply Sun 15 May, 2011 12:20 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
That's not describing a color, that's describing a process. After that explanation, the blind person would have some idea of how sight works, but would still have no clue what "blue" is.

I suspect this is an argument from lack of imagination on your part. In my own experience as a physicist, I've had to work a lot with physical phenomena my body has no sensory organs for---especially electrical circuits and light outside the visible range. I'll grant you that in the beginning, working with spectrometers, multimeters, and oscilloscopes seemed like "just a process" to me. But over the years, as I familiarized myself with these tools, I came to internalize their signals more and more. At some point, they came to seem pretty much like extensions of my own body, and their signals pretty much like perceptions of my own. Sure, I still need an oscilloscope to "see" alternating currents and voltages. But then again, other people need to put on glasses to see the books before their eyes. Who is to say where to draw the line?

Or, to approach the same problem from a different angle: Are you familiar at all with Oliver Sacks's work? Sacks is a neurologist whose books describe in detail, not just what his patients' neurological symptoms are, but also how those symptoms mold their personalities and biographies. Assuming that you have read some of Sack's writings: When you read them, are you sure you have no idea what it's like to be those people?

joefromchicago wrote:
If we give two people a number of differently colored swatches and ask them to point to the one that is blue, they would probably choose the same one, but we wouldn't know if they're both seeing the same color. One, for instance, might see "green" where the other sees "blue," and vice versa. They, however, would agree on what is "blue."

Fair enough. If you think the statements "we can't answer the question" and "we can't even intelligibly ask the question" make the same point, there's little I can say against that.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 09:31 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
On what basis do you expect me to guess?

I don't expect you to guess at all. I expect you to utilize the scientific method to make a determination.

Thomas wrote:
No, they know it categorizing photo-receptors by the kind of wavelength they respond to, and by labelling one of those categories "blue".

How do they decide on the label?

Thomas wrote:
That's just a shallow consistency check. It doesn't affect the definition in any deep way. If the non-colorblind interviewees said, "no that's actually our red", the color-blind physicists would happily re-label the photoreceptors. But that would only change labels, not the phenomenon the label is on. And shuffling labels around is nothing deeper than a trivial word-usage game.

You continue to prove my point. Of course the scientists would re-label the receptors if, through observation, they determined that those receptors responded to red light rather than blue light. But that's because they already know what red and blue are.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 09:39 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
I suspect this is an argument from lack of imagination on your part. In my own experience as a physicist, I've had to work a lot with physical phenomena my body has no sensory organs for---especially electrical circuits and light outside the visible range. I'll grant you that in the beginning, working with spectrometers, multimeters, and oscilloscopes seemed like "just a process" to me. But over the years, as I familiarized myself with these tools, I came to internalize their signals more and more. At some point, they came to seem pretty much like extensions of my own body, and their signals pretty much like perceptions of my own. Sure, I still need an oscilloscope to "see" alternating currents and voltages. But then again, other people need to put on glasses to see the books before their eyes. Who is to say where to draw the line?

Before, I asked if you were trying to fool me or just trying to fool yourself. Now I can see that it's the latter. No matter how much you think those tools are extensions of yourself, you can't "see" sound or "hear" light now any more than you could before you found those tools. You're not experiencing a new sense, you're just extending a metaphor.

Thomas wrote:
Or, to approach the same problem from a different angle: Are you familiar at all with Oliver Sacks's work? Sacks is a neurologist whose books describe in detail, not just what his patients' neurological symptoms are, but also how those symptoms mold their personalities and biographies. Assuming that you have read some of Sack's writings: When you read them, are you sure you have no idea what it's like to be those people?

I know as much about what it's like to mistake my wife for a hat after reading Sacks as I know what it's like to hunt a great white in the 1850s after reading Melville. I can certainly empathize with those people or characters, but can I know what it's really like? I doubt it.

Thomas wrote:
Fair enough. If you think the statements "we can't answer the question" and "we can't even intelligibly ask the question" make the same point, there's little I can say against that.

I never said that.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 10:43 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
On what basis do you expect me to guess?

I don't expect you to guess at all. I expect you to utilize the scientific method to make a determination.

Then you've asked me a trick question. Your problem is underspecified, so the scientific method has insufficient information to work from.

joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:

How do they decide on the label?

They start by picking a random one. Then they stick with it. The initial labelling is intellectually shallow---for all I care about, they might as well pick it by flipping a coin.

joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:

You continue to prove my point. Of course the scientists would re-label the receptors if, through observation, they determined that those receptors responded to red light rather than blue light. But that's because they already know what red and blue are.

In your framework, what happens if you give half of those color-aware persons a drug? Let's say it messes with their forebrains, causing them to sincerely tell the physicist "I see red" when the physicist shines a lamp with 460nm-only light? Do you engage in epistemic relativism and say, "their perception is as good to me as the control group's perception"? Or do you say "the drugged people are wrong---they may believe they're seeing red, but what they're really seeing is blue."? My answer is that they're wrong, and that the control group is right.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 11:32 am
@Thomas,
1 - Suffices to say Thomas that you are establishing a causal link where there´s only a correlation to be seen...your good use of the scientific method should let you understand that pretty easily... not that I myself am not all in favour of cause and effect, but that is a matter of believe not of knowledge if we are at all to be exact..

2 - The question was about if what they see is exactly the same colour which for numerous reasons they certainly don´t, not even you, yourself, see the same colour when the contextual field conditions change...colour as almost any other piece of raw data, is well know and documented, its subjected to a build process in the brain in which your conscious perception integrates any bit of information in a field of meaning where completeness and understanding based on previous experienced examples are permanently interfering and rewriting whatever your senses did capture in the first place... same is to say that the necessary interpretative meaningful need dynamically alters and changes any individual piece of data depending on memory and previous personal associative knowledge on similar situations...none of this is big news nevertheless you continually insist in neglecting a well know scientific fact concerning operative association...

3 - Any perception is not only dependent on association and field context as obviously it also depends on the overall integration and specific fine tuning on the perceptual "apparatus" which differs from subject to subject even if roughly such discrepancy's are negligible...more, the very environmental dynamic conditions interfere with the functioning of your organs in such a way that the capturing of data is subjected to fluctuations in a permanent ever adapting and evolving continuous process...

Your analysis while practical and non complicated might well be useful for a pedagogical approach on the matter, nevertheless when you demand for scientific hard analysis you should yourself care to be properly informed before engaging in an argument...

Best regards>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 12:09 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Then you've asked me a trick question. Your problem is underspecified, so the scientific method has insufficient information to work from.

No, it's not a trick question. You're right, though, that it is underspecified, but then that's my point. You don't know what button lights up which bulb until you observe the button-light sequence in action. Similarly, you don't know what photoreceptor is associated with which color until you observe that sequence in action. In other words, you don't know that light causes someone to see "blue" unless you know what "blue" is to begin with.

Thomas wrote:
They start by picking a random one. Then they stick with it. The initial labelling is intellectually shallow---for all I care about, they might as well pick it by flipping a coin.

I'm sure even you don't believe that. Scientists wouldn't start by labelling a photoreceptor "blue" if they had no reason to think that those receptors were not somehow associated with that color, no more than a neuroscientist would label a brain "abnormal" unless he knew something about that brain's pathology to begin with.

Thomas wrote:
In your framework, what happens if you give half of those color-aware persons a drug? Let's say it messes with their forebrains, causing them to sincerely tell the physicist "I see red" when the physicist shines a lamp with 460nm-only light? Do you engage in epistemic relativism and say, "their perception is as good to me as the control group's perception"? Or do you say "the drugged people are wrong---they may believe they're seeing red, but what they're really seeing is blue."? My answer is that they're wrong, and that the control group is right.

Does the drug mess with their ability to see colors or just to their ability to report what they see accurately? For instance, if the subjects see blue but the drug causes them to say "red," then you're right: they're wrong. On the other hand, if the drug causes the subjects to see red, and they respond "I see red," then you're wrong: they're right.
Thomas

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 12:38 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I'm sure even you don't believe that. Scientists wouldn't start by labelling a photoreceptor "blue" if they had no reason to think that those receptors were not somehow associated with that color, no more than a neuroscientist would label a brain "abnormal" unless he knew something about that brain's pathology to begin with.

But some scientists do start by labelling the photoreceptor something other than "blue". German scientists, for example, label it "blau". Spanish scientists label it "azul". No doubt hundreds of other languages in this world attach hundreds of other labels to it. The role of the label is that you can talk consistently about colors after you assigned it. The original assignment itself is arbitrary.

joefromchicago wrote:
Does the drug mess with their ability to see colors or just to their ability to report what they see accurately?

The drug messes with the part of the forebrain that processes the input from the optical nerve. Their brain's language center accurately says what that part of the forebrain thinks it perceives.

To be clear: I'm only saying this to clarify my question for you. In my own model of this problem, it doesn't matter if the drug changes the brain's image-processing center or its language center. Neurophysiologically, it's just one volume of grey goo vs. another. Tomeyto, tomuhto.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 16 May, 2011 12:56 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
The original assignment itself is arbitrary.

That defies belief.

Thomas wrote:
The drug messes with the part of the forebrain that processes the input from the optical nerve. Their brain's language center accurately says what that part of the forebrain thinks it perceives.

Then you're wrong.