Is evolution on a geological timescale predictable?

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 02:01 am
I have been given this as an essay question for my degree, does anyone have any ideas what I could talk about?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 784 • Replies: 8
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 04:29 am
@twistedfairy,
in what area are you attempting to earn a degree? Is it in a biological or geological science?
farmerman

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 05:41 am
@farmerman,
If you are a science major
I would include a hierarchy of elements and only discuss one or two species to simplify

IS evolution of your species observable in geological time?

Are evolutionary stages sequential to geological epochs? (Think about mass extinctions and what came through the other side)

Do these evolutionary changes correspond to additions or subtractions of genes? How do you know this?

What would be the approximate gene mutation and fixing rate for your species ? (Its f(time and reproduction rate)

Then, you could speculate about "predictability" in a manner that is more analytical

NOW, if youre a liberal arts major, just use good clever grammar and say something that is memorable.(also, quoting several sociologists and poets would be tres cool)

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 05:52 am
@twistedfairy,
Look into the question of an increase in complexity (as something predictable on a geologic timescale). You should be able to write volumes around the discussion of complexity.
farmerman

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 06:07 am
@rosborne979,
If she does it by considereing a specific species, increasing complexity may be a toss up. Every time we have a mass extinction, its the least complex that seem to make it through. We just see increase complexity as an apparent outcome when maybe its just cyclic.

Ive been reading these segments (thanks to MIllers thread a few days ago)about work they are doing at Stanford , where geneticists are working on evolution from the other end. They are looking at the genes that WE no longer have (by comparing us to our cousin the chimp) and showing what it is that we may have inherited by the removal or combining of these genes. BRILLIANT!.

Theyve already looked at one of the GRBxxx genes and diswcovered that the removal of that gene is correlated to the hairiness and sensory whiskers on the face and ear shapes.

SO, we dont only accumulate genetic expressions from new genes, we acquire phenotypic expressions from genes weve lost.
It seems so obvious but noone has gone out looking at this stuff.
BillRM

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 04:52 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Theyve already looked at one of the GRBxxx genes and diswcovered that the removal of that gene is correlated to the hairiness and sensory whiskers on the face and ear shapes.

Interesting and as my cats tell me that I would look far better with a tail and that sensory whiskers are indeed both highly useful and good looking it would be nice if we could turn those genes back on.
farmerman

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 05:00 am
@BillRM,
I have here a magic "GENEON" elixar. It turns on those old recessives that your mega-great grandparents counted on while hunting and gathering. Imagine if you could walk around atsrk naked and nobodied notice from all the hair youre sporting.
Yassah, for 2.98$ a bottle you can give them genes a kick in the telomere
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 06:13 am
I would expect that complexity is a product of constant refinement to adapt to a specific environment, or at least a type of environment (such as sub-tropical, or arid . . . you know the sort of thing). If that is the case, then it is understandable that those most highly adapted to a particular niche are going to be wasted by the sudden changes which seem to bring on mass extinction.

Meanwhile, the little rats running around, prepared to live anywhere and to eat anything probably have the best shot at surviving the holocaust.
farmerman

Reply Tue 10 May, 2011 06:18 am
@Setanta,
yep. Im wondering whether the author of this thread is even around. Kinda late when finals are in the week .
Ive always been a fan of "evolution is observable" biut is it predictable? Thats the neighborhood of science fiction.
0 Replies