BIG FIGHT WITH COMPUTER VIRUS

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 02:19 pm

BIG FIGHT WITH COMPUTER VIRUS

Was it Laden 's dying act????

It purports to sell anti-virus software
"XP INTERNET SECURITY ALERT 2011"
The "alerts" are the virus itself.
(I was told that a woman who actually bought the product had her credit card plundered.)

Since Sunday, I called Windows free security service (800 936 5700)
in Bangalore, India 3 times, with each session lasting several hours.

The virus repeatedly knocked me off the Internet
preventing me from having the Indians directly service the compter.
It also deactivated my sound system
(but when it was RESTORED, it was LOUDER n better than ever.

David

George

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 02:54 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Did you get rid of it?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:24 pm
@George,
George wrote:
Did you get rid of it?
I think so, but my pop-up blocker stopped working. I 'm getting spammed

I clicked it a few times up on the over head toolbar; no luck.

I restored the computer to use by establishing a system reset point
back to last Friday.

Now, my MS-Word documents demand that I click to sign an
"Office XP End User's License Agreement".

I don 't know whether that is legitimate, or the virus.

After I (maybe) got rid of the virus,
I successfully, and with no trouble, updated documents
in MS Word, BUT Now, I am being refused access
unless I click to sign.

I don't know what is goin on.

I don 't wanna accidentally activate the virus, if it is hiding there.

Its scary.

David
contrex

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:37 pm
You really are nutty, aren't you, David?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:40 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
One would think that an avowed Mensa member would be able to understand the basics of how his computer's operating system worked...

Cycloptichorn
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:53 pm

Yeah, I 'm not well versed in computers.

I 'm sure that there r a lot of other things that I do not know; UNLIKE yourself, Cy.

David
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 03:58 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Yeah, I 'm not well versed in computers.

I 'm sure that there r a lot of other things that I do not know; UNLIKE yourself, Cy.

David

Not unlike myself! But upon figuring out what I don't know, I do endeavor to learn.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:47 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David,
Why not just use some of the money that you purport to give away freely to buy a new computer and invest in some decent security software? Just sayin.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:59 pm
@Intrepid,
Or have a guru come to your home. I did that a few times in my beginning computer days and it saved me probably hundreds of hours. Not that I am so much smarter now, just lucky.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:10 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
For anyone running XP I strongly strongly suggest googling the name sandboxie and then going and installing this program.

Run your browser or browers inside it sandbox and the likelihood of anything getting onto your computer from the net is near zero.

To get rid of any program that get into the sandbox all you need to do is to delete the sandbox.

Note any program that is run by your browser will be run in the sandbox also.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:28 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:
David,
Why not just use some of the money that you purport to give away freely to buy a new computer and invest in some decent security software? Just sayin.
Yeah; I was thinking of doing that,
but regardless, I have some years of information stored in MS-Word files.

I 've given some thought to going with Mac.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:30 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
For anyone running XP I strongly strongly suggest googling the name sandboxie and then going and installing this program.

Run your browser or browers inside it sandbox and the likelihood of anything getting onto your computer from the net is near zero.

To get rid of any program that get into the sandbox all you need to do is to delete the sandbox.

Note any program that is run by your browser will be run in the sandbox also.
Thanx for your advice, Bill.
I 'll do that.

First I need to either accept or decline that "End User Agreement"
to preserve my data.

David
ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:32 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Gurus can, I think, save and transfer your files. But it isn't clear that your system is kaput, is it?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:33 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
No advice on that from me. Others smarter will show up.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:38 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
The End User License Agreement (EULA) is a standard part of lots of commercial software. It is basically a legal document which attempts to limit the liability of the creator of the software from your use of it. It also attempts to limit you from using their software in ways they don't like. A typical EULA will want you to click a button saying 'I accept' before it lets you move on. I would not be alarmed by seeing this, especially if you have recently re-installed programs to your computer, which you may have done with the tech the other night. If you already have an anti-virus program running - which you definitely should be - then I would advise going ahead with the EULA.

However, if you choose not to do so, it doesn't keep you from copying your files; you won't lose access to them in the long run - just not with that program, on that machine. I can also walk you through this if you decide to go that route.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:39 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I would suggest going to your start run and type the following in MRT and hit enter.

Then follow the screens and tell it to run a complete scan of your drives/system.

Second had it occur to you to try to do a restore point further back in time ?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:42 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
I would suggest going to your start run and type the following in MRT and hit enter.

Then follow the screens and tell it to run a complete scan of your drives/system.

Second had it occur to you to try to do a restore point further back in time then Firday?
No, because it was OK on Friday.
I believe that the problem arose on Sunday.

David
BillRM

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:55 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
No, because it was OK on Friday.
I believe that the problem arose on Sunday.

Maybe true however it is strange that you are being ask to confirm a license agreement as that kind of imply that at least one register key had been affect that was not repair by a restore to Friday.

Unless you had install a lot of software lately I see no harm in going back further and you can alway reverse your actions.

But that is just me and in any case I would have Microsoft MRT do a complete scan on your system for good luck.
boomerang

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:59 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
One would think that an avowed Mensa member would be able to understand the basics of how his computer's operating system worked...

Cycloptichorn

Really?

I'm no Mensa member but I think I'm okay smart-wise. I couldn't begin to tell you how a computer system works. To me, my computer is like my toaster -- it either works or it doesn't (so I yell for Mr. B to fix it (at least I was smart enough to marry well).)

To be honest, I'm not even curious as to how either of them work (the toaster or the computer, not Mr. B. He I'm curious about.)

I feel kind of ashamed of myself.

<sob>
roger

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 07:58 pm
@boomerang,
Yeah. Most people can't explain how a radio works either, and make a convincing story of it.