BIG FIGHT WITH COMPUTER VIRUS

BillRM

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 08:11 pm
@roger,
Quote:
Yeah. Most people can't explain how a radio works either, and make a convincing story of it.

First you need to understand maxwell differential equations and then......... Laughing

Never mind..... Drunk
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 08:12 pm
Download and run "malwarebytes".
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 04:29 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Now, my MS-Word documents demand that I click to sign an
"Office XP End User's License Agreement".

I don 't know whether that is legitimate, or the virus.

The message IS the Trojan. Do NOT click on it. Do NOT run a scan. Download the free program here and follow the screens - then come back and report:
http://www.2-viruses.com/remove-xp-internet-security-2011
Quote:
XP Internet Security 2011 is Extremely dangerous

0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 04:49 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

...in any case I would have Microsoft MRT do a complete scan on your system for good luck.

This particular Trojan loads Java code disabling MRT functions. David probably downloaded it inadvertently from a link posted by Butterflynet >
http://able2know.org/topic/171502-26#post-4597351
> if he's only clicked on A2K links. Or from Facebook, if he's a member there - all it takes is one "friend" to download it; then it spreads automatically:
Quote:
.....Before you know it, you'll be sharing the news of the "Osama Shoot down video" with all of your Facebook friends, and the scam will be spreading virally.

Details here: http://www.facebook.com/SophosSecurity
BillRM

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 04:56 am
@High Seas,
Quote:
This particular Trojan loads Java code disabling MRT functions. David probably downloaded it inadvertently from a link by Butterflynet >
> if he's only clicked on A2K links. Or from Facebook, if he's a member there - all it takes is one "friend" to download it; then it spreads automatically:

It may disable MRT auto scan but are you sure it can disable a manual scan?

Second howabout booting into safe mode and running MRT?

MRT is there in any case and it take only a minute to try to run.

Second comment I would never never run a bowser in XP without using sandboxie.

High Seas

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 04:59 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
This particular Trojan loads Java code disabling MRT functions. David probably downloaded it inadvertently from a link by Butterflynet >

It may disable MRT auto scan but are you sure it can disable a manual scan?

It shouldn't disable a manual scan - but people able to run manual scans without making any mistakes generally know enough not to look up scam links Smile
BillRM

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 05:05 am
@High Seas,
Quote:
It shouldn't disable a manual scan - but people able to run manual scans without making any mistakes generally know enough not to look up scam links

Going to the start tab and then the ran tab and typing in MRT and hitting enter does not seem all that hard once you tell someone to do so.

Oh and in the menu checking the box for a complete scan.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 05:57 am
Omsig,
go here.
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

READ & RUN ME FIRST Malware Removal Guide (incl. spyware, virus, trojan, hijacker) thread.
Follow it to the letter. If something doesnt work the way you think it should skip it and move on to the next section. It seems like a lot of work but is mostly details on how and why things should be done and other good maintenance things.

Once you are done, make a new thread at that site and ask for a check.

This thread is an example of what you may be up against.
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=235980&highlight=XP+INTERNET+SECURITY+ALERT+2011
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 09:10 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Quote:
One would think that an avowed Mensa member would be able to understand the basics of how his computer's operating system worked...

Cycloptichorn

Really?

I'm no Mensa member but I think I'm okay smart-wise. I couldn't begin to tell you how a computer system works. To me, my computer is like my toaster -- it either works or it doesn't (so I yell for Mr. B to fix it (at least I was smart enough to marry well).)

To be honest, I'm not even curious as to how either of them work (the toaster or the computer, not Mr. B. He I'm curious about.)

I feel kind of ashamed of myself.

<sob>

You don't have to be ashamed of yourself - in large part because you don't have a persistent habit of running around talking about how smart you are.

But, I would recommend exercising caution. The internet is like a big ol' city, with amusement parks and libraries - and back alleys which look like amusement parks, and very few cops. It is a dangerous place. Just as you would learn the basics of getting around a big city, ways to keep yourself safe from thugs and thieves, you should treat the internet the same way.

Just like in real life, you don't HAVE to take precautions - but prepare to be removed from your money if you don't, or find yourself with a computer that doesn't work, at a critical time. And the problem is going to become much worse over the next 5 or 10 years, I'm afraid.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 10:58 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Intrepid wrote:
David,
Why not just use some of the money that you purport to give away freely to buy a new computer and invest in some decent security software? Just sayin.
Yeah; I was thinking of doing that,
but regardless, I have some years of information stored in MS-Word files.

It is simple enough to copy your Word files

BillRM

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 05:59 pm
@Intrepid,
One thing to consider is that large large USB drives are now cheap and if you had a complete backup you could just had reformate your drive and reinstall from the USB drive.

I had a hard drive motor siezed and smoke pour out and all I needed to do was to picked up another drive and reinstall from a three weeks old backup.
Intrepid

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 07:47 pm
@BillRM,
I was basing my recommendations on David's apparent skill level with computers. Everything is possible, but not everything is always practical.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 04:35 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Intrepid wrote:
David,
Why not just use some of the money that you purport to give away freely to buy a new computer and invest in some decent security software? Just sayin.
Yeah; I was thinking of doing that,
but regardless, I have some years of information stored in MS-Word files.

I 've given some thought to going with Mac.

David

PCs are better if you actually like playing under the hood. If you don't, mac is better.
Get a mac David. You'll love it. I use both.
0 Replies