I would like Italian citizenship

kfp

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 02:16 pm
My grandfather and grandmother were born in Salerno, Italy but I only have my grandfather's birth certificate . They came here at an early age and my mom and dad were both born in New York.

What documentation would I need to become an Italian citizen?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,814 • Replies: 3
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 05:19 pm
@kfp,
You're asking this question at a really bad time. I don't live in Italy I live in the UK, but that's part of the EU. Our coalition Conservative/Liberal government has just declared a crack down on immigration, immigration from the EU is not controllable within EU borders, so the focus is on non-EU immigration. Even in government this is unpopular, the Liberal business secretary believes limiting the migration of skilled workers from outside the EU is bad for business.

This is just one country though. However, there is a recession on and immigrants never fare well during a recession. More importantly there is all the trouble in North Africa, and thousands of refugees from North Africa are pouring into Italy. For the first time in about twenty years the EU is discussing stopping free access between neighbouring member states and introducing passport control.

That said, a lot depends on what skills you have, how old you are, and how wealthy you are. If you're a multi-millionaire you shouldn't have any problems getting citizenship anywhere. The best thing to do would be to write to the Italian embassy and ask them. If you don't have any luck there you could try any other EU member country. I'm not an Italian citizen, but because I've got EU nationality I can go to live and work there without any documentation other than my passport.

Good luck. I've been to Tuscany and it's really beautiful, unfortunately you can't say the same about the driving. Driving in Italy is an experience in itself. You won't have any problems with driving on the other side of the road like I had though.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:07 pm
@izzythepush,
I've driven in italy - I think they are actually quick action drivers, very tuned. On the other hand, I gave up the wheel for my husband to drive in large cities. Various heart attacks evaded by slow breathing...

On citizenship, there are many threads on a2k covering all this. I'll be back with some kind of link if I can find anything besides Ask At The Italian Embassy.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 06:12 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, here's one batch of threads using Italian Citizenship as keywords..

http://able2know.org/search/?cx=partner-pub-3092869023721312%3Adw2qoa-tocz&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=italian+citizenship&sa=Search+ยป&siteurl=able2know.org%2Fsearch%2F
0 Replies