Study finds lucky charms don't work

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 08:45 pm
London: A pioneering study into the effectiveness of lucky charms has found that they do work - but only in the minds of the people who carry them.

British scientists found that while carrying a charm had no impact on events based on chance, such as winning the lottery, those who believed in them felt more confident and optimistic.

In the study, 100 people around Britain were asked to take a supposedly lucky Victorian-era penny coin with them for a month, and to keep a diary as to how their fortunes changed in areas such as finance and health.

While the University of Hertfordshire psychologists found no measurable difference in how fate had actually favoured these people, 30 per cent felt their luck had taken a turn for the better.

And although sceptical of any magical effects, these people felt more confident, secure and optimistic about the future, the survey found.

"When it comes to totally chance events like the lottery, it made no difference, but when it comes to luck in life, it made a real difference in terms of opportunities and confidence," study leader Professor Richard Wiseman said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,022 • Replies: 26
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 08:54 pm
Was there, perchance, a government grant involved here?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 09:25 pm
Re: Study finds lucky charms don't work
Mr Stillwater wrote:
In the study, 100 people around Britain were asked to take a supposedly lucky Victorian-era penny coin

Who am I to question science but.... they used a fake lucky charm and it didn't work? Wow, I AM surprised! It was a placebo and it worked like a placebo.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 09:35 pm
A fake lucky charm? There is no other kind.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 09:54 pm
What is it they say?
The luck of the irish.... if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.
And how can a rabbit's foot be lucky? It wasn't for the rabbit.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 12:11 am
No, it certainly was NOT!

Harrumph.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 05:48 am
Sad really, the little bunny legs appropriated for lucky ornaments and the rest handed over to medical science for testing on carcinogens in smoke. I suppose I should be outraged, but..........
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 10:46 am
ehBeth wrote:
A fake lucky charm? There is no other kind.

O ye of little faith.

How do you know? There is entirely too much reality going on around here on a2k and not nearly enough creating of your own myths.

Since when has reality been the only way? Every single artist has had to create something new. Science goes a little too far in pushing out any sense of fantasy, imho.

Get real? Get unreal!

This study shows nothing except that what people believe makes reality.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 12:02 pm
Piffka wrote:

Quote:
This study shows nothing except that what people believe makes reality.

This statement is either completely wacky or a Deep Truth. I'm in the Deep Truth Camp, myself.

Does anyone remember title and author for a short story frequently taught in school? Our Hero has a mystical charm (perhaps a sword, perhaps not) and carrying this charm he can slay any dragon.

Nevertheless, Our Hero trains and sacrifices and is an excellent swordsman defending the Good and the Virtuous.

Eventually Our Hero sallies out to meet a dragon, realizes that he's forgotten his charm, and is burnt to a cinder.

Steven Vincent Benet wrote:

And which was false and which was true,
The wisest critic never knew,
For both alike were real.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 07:17 pm
How sad. That reminds me...Does anyone know the name of a famous short story? A man is lost in the woods and knows that he is going to freeze to death if he can't make a fire. He tries and tries and finally lights it. But the heat from the fire rises up and loosens some snow from a tree above, which fall down to snuff the flames.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 11:35 pm
Did it say whether or not they are magically delicious?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 02:25 pm
Individual--

"The Call of the Wild" by Jack London.

hobitbob--

Yesss, my precious.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 02:33 pm
I am devastated. I bought some lucky clothes pegs from a Gypsy lady last weekend & she assured me they were better than lucky heather
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 03:32 pm
Got lucky with Heather. She was indeed quite good. Wink
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 03:34 pm
I had a lucky Heather for a while, she went off color tho and faded into oblivion
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 03:35 pm
Mine moved onto greener pastures: an attorney. Sad
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 03:38 pm
greener pastures eh. you mean this guy had a thick wad of greenbacks riding in his wallet & she frequently mowed him down
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 03:43 pm
Apparently lawyer trumps impoverished grad student. Confused
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 03:51 pm
yeah, there aren't many poor lawyers anymore than you see a poor bookmaker. They know all the tricks
Grad Student will no doubt have his day.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 03:53 pm
I think it occurred in the late 15th century! Smile
0 Replies