Study finds lucky charms don't work

oldandknew

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 03:57 pm
dangerous times. you could get your head chopped off for farting in church on a sunday
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 03:58 pm
I had a lucky locket, but Lucy lost it, then Kitty Fisher found it.

It's all mind over matter, my friends...
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 04:50 pm
Quote:
The final controversy centres upon the fungi found threaded onto a calfskin thong bracelet found alongside the corpse. These have been identified as parts of the fruiting body of a common birch fungus, Piptoporus betulinus. This had been assumed to be tinder, but this particular fungus is not very flammable, and is not an effective tinder.

This is part of the belongings of Otzi, the 5,300 year old 'ice-man' discovered in 1992. This item may have been a charm of some sort. However, as he is now known to have been killed violently I'm betting that there's a long history of placing faith in ultimately useless items.
0 Replies

Slomichizza

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 04:57 pm
individual wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know the name of a famous short story? A man is lost in the woods and knows that he is going to freeze to death if he can't make a fire. He tries and tries and finally lights it. But the heat from the fire rises up and loosens some snow from a tree above, which fall down to snuff the flames.

The story is "To Build a Fire" by Jack London.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 05:00 pm
Slomichizza- Welcome to A2K! :-D

Hey that's pretty neat. First post, and you found an answer for another
member. Great!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 09:36 pm
Did they catch it? I understand the tree that took out Sonny Bono is doing a 25 year stretch at the Washington Botanical Gardens.

I'd be welcoming you as well, but I have no truck with murderous side-show types!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 09:41 pm
Nahhh its at teh Arboretum!
0 Replies