Did Waterboarding lead to the death of Osama?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 12:12 am
@failures art,
Yes I would.

I'm not of the opinion that only America should get to use these "enhanced" techniques.

If another nation truly believes American captives pose the same threat to them as Al Qaeda members pose to us, then I would understand why they might employ these techniques on American captives.

Of course I don't believe this has ever been the case, but I can speculate for argument's sake.

At the same time, such nations must be prepared for the consequences of using such techniques on American captives, and not expect us to simply accept that our agents are the equivalents of Al Qaeda agents.

If Al Qaeda could punish us for using these techniques against its agents, they would have, and I wouldn't be crying "foul!"

The world has not, does not, and probably never will operate within legal strictures established by folks who's heads have taken up permanent residence with the theoretical.

The measure of the character of a nation is not whether or not it subscribes to the notion that might makes right, but whether it is mighty and yet demonstrates restraint.

0 Replies

Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 08:23 am
@failures art,
Now that is an ignorant statement. You obviously don't know what our enemy does to us. Don't get out much?
DrewDad

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 08:54 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
DrewDad wrote:

<yawn>

Your perfervid zeal to defend and promote your ideology is hackneyed, at this point.

You will repeat right wing talking points endlessly, even long after they've been shown to be empty of fact and/or persuasive value.

You will ignore facts, insights, and nuance.

You will respond vacuously or venomously.
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:05 am
@DrewDad,
Yeah, yeah, yeah, you lost and this is all you have. Have fun.
raprap

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:28 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Yeah, yeah, yeah boobie---drewdad scored a very valid assessment.

Rap
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:29 am
@raprap,
I can imagine what a "valid assessment" is in your world. I'm not looking for approval. I don't need it.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:34 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
It seems your idea of winning is as flexible as your idea of something working reliably.

Good luck with that.
raprap

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:34 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
You are a murdockian running dog ---a faux news useful idiot.
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:37 am
@DrewDad,
And who knows what that means. If you're gonna talk in abstracts then you obviously don't have much confidence in your own opinion.

Spit it out and take a stand on what you believe or else you just come across as a wimp.
0 Replies

Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:38 am
@raprap,
And you're an MSNBC, MediaMatters, etc, whining weasel.
raprap

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:45 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Boobie, I read fox too, but at least it is not my only source of news----
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:48 am
@raprap,
Are these important issues for you? Why are you so concerned about the source of info in a free society? Don't you believe in a free press? Why do you hate the US Constitution?
djjd62

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 09:53 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
the ability to have a free press is quite a different thing from said press disseminating valuable and useful information, as this

http://www.clevescene.com/images/blogimages/2010/04/06/1270569813-bat-boy.jpg

demonstrates
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 10:00 am
@djjd62,
I agree. So what is the point here? Is that the kind of stuff you read about? That's fine. Everyone has the freedom to read what they want to. God bless America.
raprap

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 10:03 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
Nice red herring, Boobie.

The US constitution gives Murdock the right to print his biased stories, it does not guarantee that they are blindly believed. All news reporting is subject to the tenet "Trust but verify." The problem , IMO, with many of FOX reports are they can't be verified.

It is, in effect, taking information obtained by torture (waterboarding) as fact.

Rap
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 10:06 am
@raprap,
Okay, now I see where you're coming from. You're under the impression that Fox is the only source claiming enhanced interrogation methods actually worked to help kill Osama.

Is that what you object to?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 10:13 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
i used to read a few newspapers a day (local news, national paper (the globe and mail) and a US paper (Detroit Free Press usually), never watched much tv news some local stuff for weather, a national evening broadcast (Global National), and listened to the CBC, some BBC & NPR podcasts, and the odd right wing talkshow (loved savage, what a hoot)

then i came to a realization, it's all crap, i vote in every election, and you know who always wins, the government

so now, i still try to catch the local weather and i still watch the 1/2 hour national news, as for the rest i make it up as i go along, so i don't so much read the World Weekly News, i live it
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 10:20 am
@djjd62,
So what is it you're after? Do you want to know what I read?
Renaldo Dubois

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 10:42 am
@djjd62,
I just finished reading these OPs.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/266580/first-person-presidency-victor-davis-hanson

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/266669/hed-tk-mark-steyn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 10:49 am
@Renaldo Dubois,
I had an argument, years ago, with blatham (many of you remember Bernie, many of you won't), who essentially asserted my position was inferior to his because I didn't regularly read Slate.