He who would cross the Bridge of Death Must answer me These questions three

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 05:00 pm
@boomerang,
All my kids are AP honor roll kids, but last year the HS made it manditory that parents show up for conferences. You know how I feel about raising kids, I have zero interest in watching over and directing them any more than absolutely necessary. I expect them to handle their stuff, I worked hard when they were younger to make sure that they are smart and self sufficient. I also now get constant phone calls from the computer when they miss a class, which I can not opt out of (my kids routinely skip waste of time classes). This idea that the schools have the right to suck up our time in the education process, which we pay on average $10K per kid per year for 9 months of work, drives me up the wall. If I wanted to devote all that time I would homeschool, which I did do for several years.

You are right about the homework thing, not only are they willing to destroy family time because they think this is good for the kid but they will not even be honest with the parents and the taxpayers about why they are demanding all of this homework. Deceptive practices by do gooders will piss me off every time, especially when it negatively impacts my family.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 05:09 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I see too many parents taking no responsibility for their childrens' future once they drop them off at the school on the first day of kindergarten.

How does this manifest itself? Where/how do you "see" it?

What I see is parents way too overly involved in their kid's schooling and life so that the kid never learns to make a decision or be responsible. It's frightening!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 2 May, 2011 05:22 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I agree. That is why I want parents to deal with their responsibilities to their children.

How does this law do that?
0 Replies