phone charges

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 01:39 pm
I recently was billed by ATT long distance for a phone call that we did not make.

It was an international call and the person to whom I talked assured me that it was made through the modum on my computer.

I know that it was not, as no one was online during the time perion that the call was made.

I arranged for ATT to place a block on any international calls billed to my phone number and they credited me for the amount of the call.

Can someone get your AOL password and do this kind of thing and make it look like it came from my computer, or was ATT trying to slam me with charges that I didn't earn?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 720 • Replies: 7
No top replies

discogail

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 05:43 pm
You seem to be the victim of a "backdoor" installation of a dialer program...a "drive-by" download by a sleazy website.....very common....
Spybot detects & removes over 50 different dialers....yours may or may not be in their database.........give it a shot.
D/L------> http://tomcoyote.org/SPYBOT/index1.php
after installing........hit "Search for Updates".........get them all.....then "Check for Problems". When the scan is complete, allow Spybot to remove everything listed in RED.
Update your AntiVirus...most AVs detect at least a few dialers..& do a full scan.
You can d/l a program called HijackThis http://www.merijn.org/files/HijackThis.exe
to a folder of your choice..doubleclick......hit "Scan"...then "Save log"......when it opens in notepad.....copy (edit..select all..copy) the log.......at Spyware Info.....you can join, or post as a guest, if you prefer. Start a new topic..paste (CTRL-V) your log into your reply......& if the dialer's still there......it'll show up in the log & someone will point that out & tell you how to get rid of it.

0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 06:40 pm
You could very well have been hit by a backdoor auto-dialer as discogirl mentions and it's a good very idea to run a program like Spybot once and a while (I'd recommend monthly but...) but if you don't find a dialer on your system don't be to concerned.

Someone at AT&T lied to you if they told you the call was dialed by your PC. They have absolutely no way of determining how the number was dialed so if they actually told you that it was dialed by your PC they were blowing smoke.
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 10:20 pm
Howdy:

Suggest you take a look at www.noatt.com

There is a pile of this happening and it simply appears to be at&t trying to sell their blockers and services, etc..

Murray
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 02:59 am
Jeeez!!!! I think I'll do that spybot myself.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 03:44 am
Just adding that dialers can't work with DSL.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 12:53 pm
Thanks for the info Walter. DSL is just coming into my area and I will be switching over within the next few months :-D Can't wait to be rid of dial up.
0 Replies

landshark135

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 06:19 pm
Re: phone charges
redhawk44 wrote:
I recently was billed by ATT long distance for a phone call that we did not make.

It was an international call and the person to whom I talked assured me that it was made through the modum on my computer.

I know that it was not, as no one was online during the time perion that the call was made.

I arranged for ATT to place a block on any international calls billed to my phone number and they credited me for the amount of the call.

Can someone get your AOL password and do this kind of thing and make it look like it came from my computer, or was ATT trying to slam me with charges that I didn't earn?
Don't pay AT&T for that. SBC will do it cheaper and better. I think AT&T does it to get customers.
0 Replies