Is Democracy the real way to go?

hamilton

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 08:20 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

In the first case, maybe a few thousand people are voting, while in the latter, several million are voting--but my vote matters in either case because it is possible for either matter to be resolved by a single vote.

ok. give me one decision in u.s. history that has been decided by a single vote by a citizen. the thing is, its not whether a vote counts, its how much. right now, if i voted for x to be president, then my vote would be as signicant as the size of a flea compared to the size of china. its not individual opinion at work in this case. its mass opinion.
Setanta

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 09:43 am
@hamilton,
That is a completely ludicrous decision to take. I've already pointed out that the President is not chosen by the democratic process, and that that was intended by the constitution. Whether or not its one vote or a thousand votes which decide the matter, in all other races, every citizen's vote counts, whether you are pleased to whine about your powerlessness or not. Are you so facile as to believe you can construct a system in which every one of three hundred millions Americans have real power?

Welcom to the Twilight Zone . . . i'm outta here . . .
hamilton

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 07:18 pm
@Setanta,
apparently, since ive just done so. no matter how "facile" i am doesnt matter in this case. and you still havent given me an example of when a single citizen vote has ever made a large difference in our government. your argument is weak, and, what seems to be your favorite word, "silly"
0 Replies

north

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 11:18 pm
@hamilton,
hamilton wrote:

if that is so, then why do other governments exist, and succeed?

such as ?
hamilton

Reply Sat 7 May, 2011 12:38 pm
@north,
monarchy, republics, dictators (sort of...)
0 Replies