The most common pronunciation of "would" in "I would like to"

JTT

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 11:18 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I know not which words those are.
Re-iterating:
I don 't use alien words with whose definitions I am not familiar.
If I am familiar with the definitions, I tend not to use alien words
(preferring English words) anyway.

That's the whole point, which refutes what you suggest as how English speakers should mark the plurals of words that have come from other languages.

Quote:
Pardon my skepticism.

Do you use 'caseum' for 'cheese', do you use 'saccus' for 'sack'? Do you think that if you were plunked down in a place where Latin was spoken and you asked for some "cheese", you would be understood?

Quote:
Latin
The forms given in this section are the Old English ones. The original Latin source word is given in parentheses where significantly different. Some Latin words were themselves originally borrowed from Greek. It can be deduced that these borrowings date from the time before the Angles and Saxons left the continent for England, because of very similar forms found in the other old Germanic languages (Old High German, Old Saxon, etc.). The source words are generally attested in Latin texts, in the large body of Latin writings that were preserved through the ages.

ancor 'anchor'
butere 'butter' (L < Gr. butyros)
cealc 'chalk'
ceas 'cheese' (caseum)
cetel 'kettle'
cycene 'kitchen'
cirice 'church' (ecclesia < Gr. ecclesia)
disc 'dish' (discus)
mil 'mile' (milia [passuum] 'a thousand paces')
piper 'pepper'
pund 'pound' (pondo 'a weight')
sacc 'sack' (saccus)
sicol 'sickle'
straet 'street' ([via] strata 'straight way' or stone-paved road)
weall 'wall' (vallum)
win 'wine' (vinum < Gr. oinos)

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~kemmer/Words04/structure/borrowed.html

Quote:
Until u said so, I had no idea that apricot (which I have not eaten)
is not an English word; I never considered the question.

You've likely not really considered any language issue in your life. Yeah, you've read some prescriptive manuals, absorbed those "rules", in the same fashion that you absorbed the "rule" on marking plurals.

You did this in complete defiance of reality. Many of these borrowed words are common everyday words. Just from the limited few in the list I provided, you can see that the difference of the modern English word to the Latin word is great.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 11:22 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Is this what you regard as honesty, Om?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 09:56 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Dave wrote:

Quote:
Well, for the first 3, I believe
that in Spanish, thay just add an s to render a plural.
I 'm too ignorant to comment on Russian (e.g. "Bolshevik").
I don 't know from which language "apricot" derives.

Then he wrote:

Quote:
However, it is clear that when we use words of other languages,
we are no longer speaking English, until we revert to using English words again.
Accordingly, when using those languages, we shoud use their words
according to the rules of that other language,

And you can't grasp how illogical you are being, Om.

Okay, I'll do this nice and slow for you, Dave.

As you don't know how the rules for Spanish plurals and you don't know the rules for Russian plurals, when you use words that have come from those two languages, you can't possibly [as you state] "use their words according to the rules of [those] other language[s]".

As you don't know how the sound system for Spanish and you don't know the sound system for Russian, when you use words that have come from those two languages, you can't possibly [as you state] "use their words according to the [pronunciation] of [those] other language[s]".
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2011 10:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Correct me if I 'm rong,
but I seem to detect a tacit implication
from u that I DO use languages that I don't know.
I don 't believe that I have ever done that.

Of course you have done that, millions of times, just as every other native speaker of English has done. And as millions of non-native speakers of English have done.

English is full of words that have come from other languages - I gave you a bunch of examples. You do not pronounce them as the speakers of those languages that they words came from do. You follow the sound system of English because that is the only sound system you know.

You don't inflect them for plurality as those languages do. You follow the rules of English and the rule for modern English is to add an 's'.

0 Replies