To nap or not to nap, that is the question (pre-schooler)

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 06:31 pm
So my oldest is three, going on thirteen sometimes. My mother in law watches her during the day as she runs a daycare out of her house. My daughter is Chatty Cathy and drives my MIL up the wall most day with her constant questions and lack of focus, she's three what do ya expect!!!

Anyways my MIL still puts her down for a nap with the other kids, usually my daughter resists but on occassion she will nap. However as much as I know my MIL needs a break, the days she naps she NEVER goes to bed for me... like tonight... she will stay up until 10 or 11 until she passes out from utter exhaustion. The days she doesn't nap, she goes to bed at 7:30 with very rarely any issues.

I've told my MIL to just put her in 'quiet time' like we do during the weekend, where she knows to be quiet, watch a show or play with her toys... but she still does the nap.

So is it too early to drop the nap? She turned three in February... she can get cranky in mid afternoon sometimes but can be easily distracted from it.

I don't want to start any wars with my MIL, not that my point would get across anyway!

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,687 • Replies: 5
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 06:45 pm
@Crazielady420,
We did an in-between thing -- not dropping the nap entirely but more like every other day, and then a couple of days a week, and then once a week, etc.

I think it was right around there (three or so, maybe earlier).

Man I remember when that would drive me crazy. Basically there was no way she was going to sleep at the usual naptime. But then she'd get tired way earlier than her usual bedtime, and if I put her to bed then she'd either have a terrible time falling asleep (and then the actual bedtime would be pushed way back), or she'd fall asleep and then wake up again at like 2 AM. Ugh.

I think what I ended up doing was taking her for a drive on days when I really thought she needed to nap (just by observation), as that would pretty much always knock her out. If I just put her down to sleep, it wasn't happening.

Then gradually let off the naps.

But yeah that transition period wasn't pretty!
Crazielady420

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 07:08 pm
@sozobe,
Thanks... it is sad, I can deal with my daughters occasional crankiness, it is the MIL crankiness that drives me bonkers!
dadpad

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 07:39 pm
@Crazielady420,
Many people would look for other day care alternatives if the one they were using was deemed unsuitable. Perhaps your MIL would enjoy one les client.
Dont know if thats a real option for you but it seems like a win win situation.
Crazielady420

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 07:42 pm
@dadpad,
It is a no win situation for me

I attempted to go another way and was out numbered... it is hard when the hubby doesn't agree and my daughter is happy at nana's house because it is her nana... ultimately I would be the bad guy at this point if I brought her somewhere else.

I am now considering pre-school next year in hopes that everyone can agree
ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2011 08:21 pm
@Crazielady420,
Perhaps hubby could take over bedtime duties for a while.

He can then discuss the options with his mother.
0 Replies