Costco selling Helal Meat

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 03:58 pm
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2708982/posts

The good news: WalMart's prices and selections on food are generally better than Costco's and they don't force you to buy everything as if you were cooking for an army base.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 04:05 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2708982/posts

The good news: WalMart's prices and selections on food are generally better than Costco's and they don't force you to buy everything as if you were cooking for an army base.

Be warned: my relatives in the meat industry have long claimed that Walmart's beef is some of the lowest quality you'll find anywhere. I was specifically told never to purchase it - and this is from guys who love Walmart!

Then again, I don't recommend buying meat from anyone but your neighborhood butcher or organic rancher at a farmer's market.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 04:13 pm
@gungasnake,
That's good news.

I much prefer meat that has been processed the halal way. It's much like the kosher way, so the taste is much better than you find with standard slaughter-house meat. It makes a particularly big difference with chicken.

I don't shop at Costco or Walmart, but for people who are looking for better-tasting meat, it's good to know it will be available to them through Costco.
roger

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 04:19 pm
@ehBeth,
Really makes a difference? I thought the only difference was in the way it was killed, and at one time, one of our Muslim members described the process. It wasn't appetizing, though I admit to having a delicate stomach.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 04:23 pm
@roger,
Yup. The way they bleed out the animal really helps. I'm not convinced it's kinder than any other technique of killing, but the taste difference is noticeable esp. if you have access to the instant-chilled ones.

Not like home-butchered, but tastes almost as fresh and clean.

Some of the meat from the big producers can taste a bit muddy/dull.
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2011 07:18 pm
@ehBeth,
Chicken tastes best when grass fed and free roaming (not free range which is a joke). Chicken should have a more orange colored skin to have a real chickeny taste.
The best chicken Ive had EVER (except those we raise), had been as a kid in my Grandparents home in Reading Pa, then in China or the Philipines. They know how to raise and prepare chick'n.

I never really tastes much diff in kosher chick'n unless it was sold brined (As a kid I lived in a Polack/Ukie?Jew/German neighborjhood and the meat guy was a jewish butcher named Hindin-He was kosher and he brined his boids. His chick'ns went flying out of the cooler they were so popular even among the goyem . even my grandmother(a PolackSokol Catholic) would make the goldina Yoick Shabaz soup and it was this really thick golden soup in which were served the un developed eggs of the young hen along with this beautifully fatty brined chicken meat, boiled to perfection.

Xcept we would eat this with kielbasi and horseradish, and boiled tatoes with sour cream. definately not kosher.
0 Replies