skills of yogis

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 07:20 pm
I have read many books about yogis which detailed some of their skills they had acquired by practicing yoga
Some of the skills of these yogis are levitation and telepathy
I would like to know if there are scientific proofs of some of the skills of yogis such as telepathy and levitation;otherwise have you ever witnessed these yogis using these skills?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,187 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Tex-Star

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 07:51 pm
Marooned, there is the story about the student who told, with much excitement, his Yogi teacher that after 20 years he could levitate across the lake.

The Yogi said, "Oh, that is too bad, as you could have crossed using a boat and paddle."

I had a very wonderful spiritual teacher during the 1970s who said you get exactly nothing done sitting in the Yoga position. Some, I hear, can give themselves an enema from a pan of water. Wow, that's some spincter muscles, is all you can say.

I think it depends why people want to accomplish these things. Americans have no use for these disciplines or practices. And everybody, with practice, has "telepathy." Do you suppose dogs & horses have something we don't?

The spiritual teacher (minister really) could walk across red hot coals without a flinch. But, I didn't see it.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 11:50 am
The true Yogi is a Master at the art of BS! I know most Yogis have no supernatural powers. I have walked across red-hot coals. No big woops. Just keep moving because if you stop they are going to serve your feet with lettuce and mayonaise.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 5 Jan, 2004 07:46 pm
There is absolutely NO evidence to support claims of levitation, telepathy, Psychokinesis, or ability to perform the Rope Trick.

On the other hand, the well disciplined mind can do amazing things. It can "turn off", or accentuate, sensory perception. The is a lot of anecdotal evidence of people able to sit for hours on a block of ice, or hold a burning ember in their hand without hurt. A focused mind sees more than the mind that is "jumping all over the place". The disciplined mind can "boost" strength, and stave off exhaustion. There are numerous examples of 95 pound mothers who lift automobiles to free their children, and old men who can outwalk twenty year-old athletes.
0 Replies