Pot could be legal in Canada in 3 months...

Ceili

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:42 pm
http://www.vancouversun.com/health/ruling+expected+face+federal+appeal/4613580/story.html

An excerpt:
On Monday, the Ontario Superior Court declared the rules that govern medical marijuana access and the prohibitions laid out in sections 4 and 7 of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act "constitutionally invalid and of no force and effect," effectively paving the way for legalization of the drug. Section 4 is the section that makes possession of marijuana illegal and Section 7 makes cultivation illegal.

If the government does not respond within 90 days with a successful delay or re-regulation of marijuana, the drug will be legal to possess and produce in Ontario, where the decision is binding.

The ruling stemmed from the constitutional challenge of Matthew Mernagh, a man who relies on medical marijuana to ease pain brought on by fibromyalgia, scoliosis, seizures and depression.

The Ontario Court of Appeal had previously recognized that to deprive someone with a serious illness of medical marijuana if it relieves their pain is a violation of the Charter of Rights.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 3,791 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Mame

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:44 pm
@Ceili,
Bet that's going to increase our tourism industry!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:52 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/ruling+expected+face+federal+appeal/4613580/story.html

The ruling stemmed from the constitutional challenge of Matthew Mernagh, a man who relies on medical marijuana to ease pain brought on by fibromyalgia, scoliosis, seizures and depression.

He forgot ingrown toenail. It also relieves nervous tension brought on by his ingrown toenail.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:53 pm
@roger,
I like that this thread is the neighbour to the American govt shutdown thread ...
djjd62

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:54 pm
@Ceili,
saw that last night, i think we're gonna have to change the leaf on the flag

4:20 everybody
Reyn

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 01:54 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
Pot could be legal in Canada in 3 months...

I hope not. Cigarette smoke blown in your face is bad enough. Sad Mad
Thomas

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 02:15 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
I like that this thread is the neighbour to the American govt shutdown thread ...

Are you saying that Congress Republicans are trying to shut the US government down on purpose, so they can all go to Canada and smoke more pot? It all makes sense now!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 02:20 pm
@Reyn,
The beauty of pot is that you don't have to smoke it!
Reyn

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 03:41 pm
@Ceili,
No, but unfortunately if one has neighbours that indulge in their backyard, it's hard not to smell the crap. Sad
Mame

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 05:30 pm
@Reyn,
I hate the smell of it, too. Had tenants who smoked it and it came up the air vents. Had to ask them to smoke it outside, but they snuck some joints down there and I had to tell them to move on. Shame, really liked them.
Irishk

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 05:44 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
i think we're gonna have to change the leaf on the flag

Laughing
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 05:45 pm
@roger,
It's practically legal here, now. Did you see that story in the New York Times a few weeks back about pediatricians prescribing it for kids? It helps their ADD or something.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 05:49 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

It's practically legal here, now. Did you see that story in the New York Times a few weeks back about pediatricians prescribing it for kids? It helps their ADD or something.

Why not? Better than that **** Ritalin.

Re: the smell of pot... it's light years better than ciggies. Of course, I smoke all the time, so I'm pretty partial in this fight.

Go Canada!

Cycloptichorn
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 06:20 pm
If only Canada wasn't so damned cold and filled with so many damned Canadians, I might move there.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 06:20 pm
I'm not anti pot, never have been. Haven't smoked it for something like forty years. Legality fine with me. It's a more sophisticated product now, at least in California. I know I had a thread on that.

I don't like the criminal thuggy aspect, which, besides being bizarre, is an experiment in useless violence re gang warfare.
My last home area is being infiltrated, I take it, by cartel types, which don't work with the laid back views of long time planters.

I'll remark that I remember, when driving through the forest, hearing radio warnings about helicopters approaching.

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 06:34 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Ah Finn, I read the other day that Canada is the most tolerant country n the world. http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Report+Canadians+most+tolerant+developed+world/4600494/story.html We could put up with you.. no worries! lol
Irishk

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 06:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
No experience with Ritalin, but I'm thinking pot is probably a lot more fun Smile
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 06:56 pm
@Reyn,
It's better than smelly car exhaust, or fish, or manure, each that seem to linger... pot dissipates pretty quickly.
Ever smelled a garage full of empties? or worse the drunk the day after?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 06:57 pm
@Mame,
I hated living in apartments, some of the smells people can produce in an enclosed space are horrendous. Mind you, I think they were rude too.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 09:02 pm
@Ceili,
My dilemma is this: Who might drive me more crazy?

Vancouver Canuks seeking to emmulate a hetero San Francisco or Toronto effetes seeking to emulate London.

If they legalize pot in Banff, I just might move.