Cajun Music

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 07:06 pm
@panzade,
Acadian music - that's the real stuff from Montana's part of the world.

The current music scene in Acadie is terrific, it's interesting how music with a common source has developed in different directions over the centuries.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 07:06 pm
@msolga,
my guess--cajun = fiddle; zydeco = piano accordian
chai2

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 07:08 pm
I know this isn't canjun, it's French Canadian, but I've always loved the music in this short animated film...

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 07:10 pm
@panzade,
The Bear Family Records are wonderful. I got a great Harry Belafonte collection from them.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 07:11 pm
@dyslexia,
Hmmm ...
Something to investigate, Bob.
Perhaps farmer has some thoughts on this?
Last night as I was having fun youtubing for Cajun & Zydeco videos, quite a few of the music clips included both fiddle & piano accordion.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 07:24 pm
@ehBeth,
I bet you could fill us in on the great exodus that brought this music to Lousiana beth
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 07:38 pm
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 08:01 pm
...don't mess with my toot toot...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 10:42 pm
I can't post videos from here or look at the ones already posted but here are some folks to check out if they aren't already included.

Clifton Chenier
Geno Delafose
Amanda Shaw
Steve Riley
Little Band of Gold (swamp pop more than classic Cajun)
Bluerunners
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 04:43 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 02:38 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 03:50 pm
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 04:16 pm
Just catching up.

Here's one by the L'il Band of Gold

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 04:19 pm
Steve Riley - live at the Blue Moon in Lafayette, LA.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 04:20 pm
Bluerunners (also at the Blue Moon)

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 04:46 pm
Maalox had a commercial about a decade ago or so that featured a Cajun song while showing all of this Cajun cuisine, and a guy with fogged up eyeglasses standing over a steaming tray of crawdaddies. Does anyone remember it, and know the name of that incredible song?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 04:56 pm
@JPB,
My ex and his brother knew Clifton Chenier - he either came to their school a few years in a row or somewhere very locally in south LA and they somewhat got to know him (I've no idea of the somewhat, but more than just an intro. The brother was a school paper editor, so that might have been the entry). Next time I email ex or he, me, I'll ask. We share history but don't converse regularly. I just remember that both hub and brother liked him.
JPB

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 06:34 pm
@InfraBlue,
Dunno, but it was a BeauSoleil song.

Quote:
Interview with Michael Doucet from BeauSoleil I got a call from a lawyer from New Orleans, he said “They’re doing tryouts for a Maalox commercial. They want Louisiana music.” I asked him, “Ellis, am I the first person you called?” Well, no. I said, “I’m not the last person you’re going to call?” He said no. I said “I’m really not interested, I never win the lottery.” We were getting ready to go on the Conan O’Brian show, it was right before the Olympics, I guess that was three or four years ago now. I got a call from our record producer, Chris Strachwitz from Arhoolie Records, which is a roots label. He loves music, rediscovered Lightning Hopkins, put out the first Clifton [Chenier], he does Nartenien , Mexican, ethnic stuff, he hates commercial music, what he calls “Mouse Music”. He starts telling me about this commercial that I’d already heard about. He said that they wanted to use one of our songs. I thought they’d want to use it in some stupid way. No, he said, he thought it’s going to be good. This was on Wednesday. The spot aired on Saturday. They took the master off the CD.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 06:43 pm
@ossobuco,
I never met him but one of my favorite people on the planet started out touring with Clifton, then John Hiatt. Now he does his own thing.

Zydeco Shuffle - Sonny Landreth

Clifton's son C.J. carries on in dad's footsteps.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 06:52 pm
Tab Benoit

0 Replies