farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 09:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
BEAUSOLEIL avec MICHAEL DOUCET

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMBO3JGFAbI&feature=related

farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 09:29 pm
@farmerman,
I loved Ry Cooders music for Southern Comfort. It was one of the reasons I took up the pedal steel. I can sound like slide neck .
farmerman

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 09:44 pm
@farmerman,
BUCKWHEAT ZYDECO

This aint e Cajohn mewzeec. Des a Cuvah of dat sho nuff be Cajuned up, I GARAWNTEE!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0yMYfxTqX4&feature=related
jespah

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 07:11 am
@farmerman,
Pseudo-Cajun, I suppose, but I like it.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 08:06 am
@jespah,
If you play, I will listen.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 08:10 am
@jespah,
It's a Paul Simon song. Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 10:51 pm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 03:46 am
Love this music, edgar.
Wonderful stuff! Smile

What are the differences between Cajun & Zydeco?
Or is there an overlap?

In any case, both make you want to dance.
Check out these two in their kitchen!:

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 04:05 am
@msolga,
When the French Canadians (those from the Gaspe and N New Brunswick Areas (The area of LE "Acadee") left en masse from Acadia and settled in the tidewater Louisiana area, they brought theirAcadian ( "cajun" ) music that was the root of Zydeco. The Cajun music used fiddles as a central instrument. AS time moved on and Cajun music blended with the Creole sounds of the Islands(the black slaves had their own styles of music and the black slaves often ran into the swamps and met up with the CAjuns), The music evolved into a unique style where the Accordian or button concertina became the central instrument and the BEAT became central point.
I recall (I used to live down in NAWLINS) that the root name of Zydeco was the word Zaricot which is a "runner bean or butter bean" . The music is much livelier than traditional Acadee sounds and uses a heavy backbeat in fast waltz or 2/4 time. IT IS meant to dance to and we would go
"many time Fe- do -do off in de swamp yeh"

Those were some of the best times. Me an Mrs F got to know the "Coonaz" folks and , like the movie Southern Comfort, they just want be left alone.
I got to know some ole boys that worked on the rigs where I worked and they made me drink Jax beer and eat crawdads (our mudbugs) and nutria. All the time somebody would bring an accorion and a washboard and somebody'd sing **** that I could never understand anyway.(Funny thing about the rig guys, nobody was a driller, all these guys were either welders or divers)
farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 04:13 am
@farmerman,
The word Coonass or Coonaz is a word of either derision or honor. Here is the urban dictionary's take
Quote:
COONASS; {COONAZ} ) there is much debate to the origins of the word, but one fact is known. the term in no way shape or form came from anything having to do with raccoons! get it through you heads people! it morphed from a phrase in cajun french. those who are poser cajuns, of acadian decent but grew up in the city and think their **** don't stink, think of it as an ethnic slur no matter the context in which it is spoken. other cajuns that still have a sense of humor, see the name as a badge of honor except when uttered by a ******* red neck. then it becomes a racial slur.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 04:19 am
@farmerman,
Ah.
Thank you for explaining, farmer.
Quote:
I recall (I used to live down in NAWLINS) that the root name of Zydeco was the word Zaricot which is a "runner bean or butter bean" . The music is much livelier than traditional Acadee sounds and uses a heavy backbeat in fast waltz or 2/4 time. IT IS meant to dance to and we would go
"many time Fe- do -do off in de swamp yeh"

It is quite irresistible, this "runner bean music".
Love it.
I'm not at all surprised that you did, too, especially having lived in New Orleans.
You lucky things!

Are you a good Zydeco dancer, still? Smile

farmerman

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 06:08 am
@msolga,
I think my dancin days are pretty much behind me.
msolga

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 06:25 am
@farmerman,
Nah.
You need to listen to your Zydeco music again, farmer.
Impossible not to dance! Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 06:25 am
Thanks, fm and olga.
I never did dance, but I love dance music, very often.
I never got that close with Cajuns. Did work offshore at Houma one short time, perhaps thirty five years ago. I recall this Cajun that I payed to drive me to the helicopter pad had a flat tire. He was in really bad health, so I was the one took off his tire and wheel and we borrowed a man's boat so I could row us across the street to a station. The rowing was tough, on the way, but coming back I became an expert and we shot across the water, straight as an arrow.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 06:32 am
I had never heard of Zydeco music, until I saw, "The Big Easy".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092654/soundtrack

I was so taken with the music that I bought the soundtrack, which we often play in the car.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 06:35 am