Is philosophy useless?

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 12:02 pm
@spendius,
spendi wrote,
Quote:
It was the secret fears and desires of the public

You'll have to explain what those "secret fears and desires" are?
spendius

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 01:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
What Hitler's oratorical genius conjured into existence from the depths. What Osso Strasser was referring to when he said that Hitler was a "loud-speaker, proclaiming the most secret desires, the least admissible instincts, the sufferings and personal revolts of a whole nation".

The systematic manipulations of fears and hopes and cravings and anxieties and frustrations of the masses. 20 years before Madison Avenue and its motivational research which exploits the less dangerous dark forces to sell toothpaste, cars and political leaders. Using the dangerous ones Hitler sold the masses a Fuehrer, an insanity and a war.

As this is a family friendly site I will refrain from further elucidation except to say that what was exploited by Hitler was provided by the Treaty of Versailles in June 1919 and your President's capitulation to the vengeance seekers. With us it is self inflicted.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 02:07 pm
@spendius,
What was exploited by Hitler was their economy in shambles.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 04:20 pm
@Dosed,
Quote:
Philosophy is definitely not useless, however there isn't much of a demand for it at all in our capitalistic world today.

I am not so sure about that. Philosophy isn't exclusive to philosophers. There is an element of philosophy to almost everything, and sometimes old habits can be revised when someone thinks along new lines. There is even philosophy in capitalism. The belief that this system is the best way to distribute our collective wealth is perhaps a philosophical opinion.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 04:38 pm
@Cyracuz,
That's true; what we considered good English language has transformed over the years to what we see today which is different than what it used to be some decades ago - especially since I was in grade school.

Philosophy is used to update ideas through language. What was considered Victorian has been superseded by contemporary understanding of different cultures. We see those changes in books and the movies.
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2011 04:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes. In Norway, and probably in all countries, with the increased influence of the english language, it became a point to preserve our language and traditions. This resulted in a whole lot of new words being introduced as norwegian equivalents of words borrowed from english.
If our philosophy had been to embrace change and work towards unification of all nations, that might not have been an undertaking we deemed neccesary.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2011 12:06 am
@spendius,
vikorr wrote:
I would not have said the examples provided had much to do with introspection - quite the opposite.

I dare say few people who abuse power tend towards introspection. I would be surprised if any who abused power to large degrees indulges in much introspection other than 'how do I gain more power' (or 'how do I hold on to my power') types of introspection.

Spendius wrote:
Are you suggesting that Mein Kampf is not introspective.
Having never read it I wouldn't know what kind of introspection it would contain - see above for clarity.

That said, Hitler was by force, placed in an environment conducive to introspection (jail) for certain types of people (in this case, the power hungry) - which isn't the norm for those kinds of people.

Spendius wrote:
You are in the fuzzy middle ground where you can prove anything you want.
Who said I wanted to prove something with my post? It is the posting of a viewpoint.
0 Replies