Questions about the A2K mobile app

DrewDad

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2011 09:14 pm
Is there a way to sign in other than a Facebook account?

I really prefer to keep my A2K persona separate from my real life.

View best answer, chosen by DrewDad
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 12:29 pm
@DrewDad,

dunno... but you could always make a throwaway FB account...
djjd62

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 12:36 pm
i hate the fact that FB seems to tie in with a lot of things, i didn't notice at first that the NCAA bracket that tsar started linked to FB if you used the email tied to your FB account, can't things just exist in their own world
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 12:36 pm
@Region Philbis,
I gotta agree with DD - forcing people to sign in via FB is chilling, in large part b/c it links your real identity to your anonymous one here, something I'm unwilling to do.

FB is aggressively going after so-called 'throwaway' accounts these days.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 12:42 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

dunno... but you could always make a throwaway FB account...

That seems a bit... baroque.

Create a fake Facebook account so that I can log in anonymously on a completely different site? Why not just integrate with the security that's already on this site?

I can see why developers want to tie in with Facebook, but as I consumer I just don't want to do it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 12:42 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i hate the fact that FB seems to tie in with a lot of things, i didn't notice at first that the NCAA bracket that tsar started linked to FB if you used the email tied to your FB account, can't things just exist in their own world

No, because FB makes a lot of money by selling every single data point about you they can, to as many people as possible. It's amazing to me how many people don't realize how FB's business model works.

Cycloptichorn
sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 01:33 pm
I access A2K regularly from my Blackberry but I didn't have to sign in via Facebook. Not sure if I'm using the mobile app, in fact I think I don't, but it works fine. (Not perfect, some format wonkiness, but definitely functional.)

I just go to the actual website (www.able2know.org), and sign in as usual (sozobe + my password).

There may be some sort of grandfathering at work, I don't know. I've been doing it for over a year.
djjd62

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 01:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
i understand it, i just don't like it
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 01:36 pm
@sozobe,
same with my ipod touch if i'm somewhere i can get wifi
0 Replies

Robert Gentel
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2011 02:13 pm
@DrewDad,
That's a third party app, using able2know for content, and no I don't think there is another way (but it doesn't tie your account to your a2k account, it has no access to a2k really other than reading RSS feeds).
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2011 05:58 am
@sozobe,
Yeah, I can access the website directly, too. I just tried out the mobile app and thought the Facebook tie-in was weird.

Thanks, Robert, for the update. I'll abandon the app and just use the web browser if I need to access the site when I'm out and about.
0 Replies