Is it Exploitation?

eoe

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:21 am
I just caught a bit of a movie "The Sex Monster" with Mariel Hemingway playing a married woman hot after other women. She had this intense kissing scene with another actress, Missy Crider. It made me think. Lately, there have been many straight women having lesbian experiences in the movies and it's beginning to look like another form of female exploitation, a little something extra to titillate the men in the audience. When will we see a straight mainstream male actor in a love scene with another man? The only one I can think of is Matthew Broderick many years ago in Torchsong Trilogy.
And what's up with Mariel Hemingway anyway? This is the third time I've seen her locking lips with a woman in the movies or on tv (remember her guest appearance on Roseanne?). Is she just the universal lesbian fantasy chick or what?
Your thoughts...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,345 • Replies: 34
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:26 am
"My Beautiful Launderette" had a male-male sex scene, but Daniel Day-Lewis wasn't really mainstream yet.

I bet it'll happen, though, with some of the younger eye-candier male actors.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:38 am
There was a bit of discussion in the entertainment press a year or two ago about how being lesbian and/or bi had become a bit of a fad in Hollywood circles (I suspect it was always there, just more hidden in the past but...) so it doesn't really seem surprising that the same people in Hollywood would be incorporating it into movies more.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:46 am
sozobe wrote:
"
I bet it'll happen, though, with some of the younger eye-candier male actors.

Thats it. I am off to Hollywood
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:49 am
"My Own Private Idaho" with River Phoenix and Keanu Reeves also comes to mind. I think you'd see more male love scenes if they didn't look so ridiculous naked.

As Seinfeld's Elaine said "The female body is a work of art. The male body is utilitarian. It's for gettin' around. It's like a Jeep."
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:51 am
Elaine was wrong
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:52 am
eoe- Sure it's exploitation. But as long as people plunk down their bucks to see that sort of thing, Hollywood will keep making then!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:54 am
I agree!

What about William Hurt and - dammit, cannot recall his name - (he played the straight political activist - fantastic actor) - in "Kiss of the Spider Woman"?

Edit: I meant I agre with gautam about men's bodies!

yes, it was Raoul Julia - thank you!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:56 am
Raul Julia would be that fantastic actor.

There was the 1982 film Making Love with Harry Hamlin and Michael Ontkean. It made some waves at the time.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:56 am
How can it be exploitation when the participants do it of their own free will?

Whoring for a buck is more like it
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:28 am
Seinfeld was a comedy -- I'm not surprised considering the time it was made that Elaine didn't end up in more than one lesbian encounter! As if Elaine or any of the Seinfeld characters were actually normal. Laughing

Seems some have dated men who are lacking in the physically attractive attributes. What a shame.

As already pointed out, men have supposedly been exploited in sex and kissing scenes and this year alone, especially in independent films, it's been like a flood of coming out of the closet. HBO and Tony Kurshner provided quite sedate love scenes between males considering the "let it all hang out" of Queer As Folk and, to an extent, Six Feet Under. Better watch the documentary about the history of gay in film (there are actually two of them and I can look them up on IMDb but a quick search will reveal them to anyone).

This isn't the first time Murial was in a lesbian film --"Personal Best" of 1982.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:30 am
In "Philadelphia" before the "gay wave" Antonio Banderas kisses Tom Hanks but in an askew rear shot so we can only imagine if there was tongue involved. There's no mistake in some of the other examples, some are, in fact, straight actors. It's acting, stupid. Not you, eoe, as you obviously know Ms. Hemingway has outed herself several years ago.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:44 am
Ooooo. Didn't know that about Ms. Hemingway. She's been married for a long time and has two daughters so I just assumed...

Never saw some of the movies with the guys, Keanu and River, William Hurt and Raoul, but I do remember the movie with Harry Hamlin and Michael Onkean and the big whoopdedoo surrounding it. Never saw it tho. Let me ask... Were the guys really kissing or was it merely implied like with Tom Hanks and Antonio Banderas?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 11:01 am
Actually, it was a pretty graphic kiss and although Onkean is gay, Hamlin is not. I kind of smiled at the expressions on their faces -- someone wasn't having trouble acting at all!

How many well known people have been married and have children who end up coming out? I would run out of time to count.

Many in Hollywood have "the arrangement" and we all know the rumors about Bill and Hillary although I doubt we will ever know. Rock Hudson married.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 11:13 am
I pride myself on keeping up with the entertainment industry but you've got me on this one, LW. I can't think of any well known people who have been married and had children who actually proclaimed to be gay. We all know Anne Heche's tale and Tom Cruise has always been suspect but who has actually come out of the closet? Not just rumor but truth from their own mouths or public lifestyle?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 11:57 am
What about Cary Grant? He was married for some time, but I am not sure whether he had any children.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 12:00 pm
Cary Grant had a daughter named Jennifer with Dyan Cannon.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 12:06 pm
mac- Shows you where my head is. I was thinking that he was married to Betsy Drake. I didn't realize that he had been married five times.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000026/bio
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 12:08 pm
I never believed the story about him and Randolph Scott, tho. Didn't want to. Smile
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 12:50 pm
You've got your straight actors portraying gay characters. Does anybody think it's possible for a gay actor, such as Rupert Everett, to be accepted in a straight role?
0 Replies