realjohnboy

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 04:11 pm
@ossobuco,
I have the image on our NYer card section at my shop but I respect their copyright so won't post it here.
Rabbit feet as good luck goes back centuries and has to do with fertility and later with the strength of rabbits' back legs. No idea how this relates to Taylor. It made sense at the time.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 04:14 pm
@farmerman,
Raintree County ('57) had her starring with Montgomery Clift again along with Lee, Marvin, Rod Taylor ... but not Burton. The movie was a bit so-so, however.

Just watched some longer video clips of Clift-Taylor paired together in Place in the Sun. OMG that acting ... of them together as well as Shelly Winters, too.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 04:16 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Raintree County ('57) had her starring with Montgomery Clift again along with Lee, Marvin, Rod Taylor ... but not Burton.
The movie was a bit so-so, however.

Just watched some longer video clips of Clift-Taylor paired together in Place in the Sun. OMG
that acting ... of them together as well as Shelly Winters, too.
U liked it, or u didn 't like it ?
Ragman

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 04:32 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I loved Place in the Sun but not so much with the Raintree County movie - but loved her acting.
jespah

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 04:47 pm
@Ragman,
I do hope that, in the retrospectives of her life (and there is sure to be a huge one at the Oscars next year) that her humanitarian efforts are really showcased. This was one of the first straight famous people, male or female, to embrace AIDS patients.
Ragman

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 04:50 pm
@jespah,
Yes, totally agree.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 05:03 pm
@farmerman,
I poked around and found this more inclusive list for movies that starred Liz and Richard Burton:

She and Richard Burton starred together in 11 movies:

The V.I.P.s (1963)
Cleopatra (1963)
The Sandpiper (1965)
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)
Doctor Faustus (1967)
The Comedians (1967)
The Taming of the Shrew (1967)
Boom! (1968)
Hammersmith Is Out (1972)

uncredited cameo in Burton's film Anne of the Thousand Days (1969)
Under Milk Wood (1972)

Divorce His - Divorce Hers (1973) (TV)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 05:12 pm

Elizabeth told Johnny Carson:
"I 've been declared dead.
I even read my own obituary.
They were the best reviews I ever had."

Was that professionally embarrassing for her M.D. ?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 05:19 pm
@Ragman,
Never heard of Boom, or Hammersmith Is Out. Ill look em up at AMazon and see what the plots were about.
Ragman

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 05:20 pm
@farmerman,
Boom! was a bust. Don't bother. Not sure Hammersmith was much to look out for either.
farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 05:23 pm
@Ragman,
Well, heres the plot of Hammersmith. Apparently it was directed by Peter Ustinov and was a comedy that was loosely based upon Faustus

THE PLOT (from Wikipedia)
Quote:
Billy Breedlove (Beau Bridges) is an orderly at a Texas psychiatric hospital. He simultaneously falls under the spell of two people: a blonde waitress at a local diner named Jimmie Jean Jackson (Elizabeth Taylor) and an allegedly sociopathic hospital patient named Hammersmith (Richard Burton), who is restrained in a straitjacket within a locked cell. Hammersmith promises Billy a new life with fame and fortune if he is released from his incarceration. Billy agrees to free Hammersmith, provided that Jimmie Jean can accompany their escape. The three make their way into adventures where Hammersmith murders people and steals property as the means for elevating Billy’s social and financial status. Billy becomes the owner of a topless bar, the owner of a pharmaceutical company, an oil tycoon, the financier of political campaigns and a roving ambassador-at-large for the United States. Over time, Billy comes to loathe Jimmie Jean. However, Hammersmith takes an interest in her and grants her wish that she should be become a mother. Hammersmith arranges for Billy to become disabled in a water skiing accident, and then convinces him to commit suicide. The head of the psychiatric hospital (Peter Ustinov) locates Hammersmith and has him returned to his incarceration – where he begins to promise fame and fortune to another orderly
Ragman

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 05:25 pm
@farmerman,
Wow what a plot. I missed seeing "Hammersmith Is Out" back in the day.
farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 06:30 pm
@Ragman,
I know. I got it on speed Netflix. (OUR que is about a billion movies long, Ill forget about ordering this one when it comes)

Chai looked up Liz TAylors MArriages on Another thread that Ia am trying to shut down. SO Heres here matrimonography:

Hmmm....just because I'm a geek and OCD when it comes to numbers, I looked up her times of marriage, and amount of time between each.

Taylor was married eight times to seven husbands:

Conrad "Nicky" Hilton (May 6, 1950 – January 29, 1951) (divorced)
Married for almost 9 months, stayed single for a yearish.

Michael Wilding (February 21, 1952 – January 26, 1957) (divorced)
Married 5 years, stayed single for one week.

Michael Todd (February 2, 1957 – March 22, 1958) (widowed)
Married a little over a year before Todd died, stayed single for 14 months (she was in mourning for a while I'd suppose)

Eddie Fisher (May 12, 1959 – March 6, 1964) (divorced)
Married about 5 years, stayed single 9 days.

Richard Burton (March 15, 1964 – June 26, 1974) (divorced)
Richard Burton (October 10, 1975 – July 29, 1976) (divorced)
****, I'm counting this as a 10 year marriage with a break in there toward the end.
Stayed single for 4 months

John Warner (December 4, 1976 – November 7, 1982) (divorced)
Married 6 years, stayed single 9 years.

Larry Fortensky (October 6, 1991 – October 31, 1996) (divorced)
Married 5 years. Remained single over 15 yrs
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 04:47 am
I've just discovered that she had American parents! And there was me thinking that she was a simple English rose.

Mind you, I always wondered why she talked funny.
farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 04:52 am
@Old Goat,
ow bout Kathleen Turner. She grew an English accent as she got fat.
She did an interview when she did "Romancing the STone" in the 70's and she sounded Amerkin. After several years she started sounding English. Now she sounds like some English dude, her voice is so deep.

My momma said never to say anything bad about folks.
0 Replies

Old Goat

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 04:56 am
Madonna (or Madge, as we call her) was the same.

Pure Brooklyn until she married a fake Cockney and moved into a mansion near the Queen. The hunting and fishing set soon got to work on her, and now she sounds like a cross between Dick Van Dyke's chimmanee sweep and Maggie Thatcher when she made that Falklands speech.

Lah dee dah indeed!
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 06:26 am
Did anyone mention, "Suddenly, Last Summer"? She played with Katherine Hepburn and Montgomery Clift. I loved her in that film.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3005651968/tt0053318
Ragman

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 06:32 am
@Old Goat,
FWIW, Madonna was never pure Brooklyn as she was from Michigan until 1977, when she moved to NYC. (putting my nit-pick away)
jespah

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 06:45 am
@Ragman,
The obit in the NY Times today was, as is to be expected, huge. Not as big a headline as when Sinatra passed, but there were other things going on yesterday.

I love this photo -- I wonder how old she was here. Fifty, maybe? http://www.movieeye.com/celebrity_addresses/upl_images/scans/71668/Elizabeth_Taylor-r133138.jpg
Ragman

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 06:56 am
@jespah,
If I were guessing, perhaps she was around 48 in this one, judging her style and clothing fashion. I've seen pics that were taken around 1990-2000. She put on her weight in the mid-70s, then lost weight, etc., so who knows for sure? (This pose does hide the possibility of the double-chin).

Anyone would be happy to look that good at any age, much less any over-40.