jespah

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 07:35 am
She was 79, according to her publicist. CNN has more.

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 07:49 am
@jespah,
Whoa!
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 07:53 am
@jespah,
Oh, damn. She was such a spunky lady. The world has lost one of the greats of show business.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 08:10 am
@jespah,
The last film I saw of hers was "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" It was the first time I had seen it and I was absolutely fascinated by it. I loved her best in Cat On A Hot Tin Roof. She was such a beautiful woman and even though she seemed to have a rather tortured life she kept on and kept on and helped many along the way. There just aren't any (IMO) actresses like her anymore.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 08:19 am
@jespah,
She surely lived a big life.

RIP

She will be missed as an entertainer and as a fund-raiser.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 08:23 am
@jespah,
Fascinating as an actress always captured the screen and my attention. Maybe it was the eyes.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 08:24 am
she was a ball of fire...

RIP Ms Taylor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nInE5TITzE8
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 08:27 am
The sensational aspects of her private life frequently obscured the fact that she was quite an accomplished actress. On the other hand, her last big screen appearance was in The Flintstones.
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 08:55 am
In around 1960, Liz had a serious bout of pneumonia, and needed a tracheotomy. I remember a doctor reporting that with what she had, most people would have died. He said that she lived because she had a tremendous will to live, and that she fought like a tiger.

For years, she wore the scar from the tracheotomy like a badge of honor.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 08:57 am
My favorite Liz Taylor movie was "National Velvet".
Miller

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 09:00 am
Zichronam lebracha - זכרונם לברכה - bless their memory .
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 09:02 am
@Sglass,
My favorite was Giant. Smile
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 09:03 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

she was a ball of fire...

RIP Ms Taylor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nInE5TITzE8

Liz was a "ball of fire". But look at little Debbie Reynolds. Wink
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 09:06 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

The sensational aspects of her private life frequently obscured the fact that she was quite an accomplished actress. On the other hand, her last big screen appearance was in The Flintstones.

She and Mike Todd owned a movie theatre in the Chicago loop at one time.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 09:50 am
@jespah,
Her particular dedication to humanitarian efforts such as AIDS research and fundraising helped elevate public awareness, way before it was popular to do so as a celebrity 'cause de jour'.

Also, her personal dedication to worthwhile causes and to her friends, is to be lauded. Regardless of how one may have felt about Michael Jackson, she stood by him defending him staunchly - even through those infamous court cases when others grew silent or condemned him. She was there. IMHO, MJ might not have deserved such an ally, but she remained undaunted.

She had more backbone and substance than most in Hollywood or anywhere else, for that matter.

In her day on the short list of 'hot mamas' that could act and were fascinating to watch, there was Marilyn Monroe, Natalie Wood, and Liz as far as Hollywood actors.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 10:11 am
@jespah,
Never been an actress so beautiful and competent in her craft. Her performance in "Virginia Wolfe" is incandescent, and equal to the performance of any actor's best. Only Brando in "On the Waterfront" and James Dean in "East of Eden" rise to the level of Taylor's performance in "Virginia Wolfe."
Ragman

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:19 am
@kuvasz,
You know quite a lot of what you're speaking.

I've limited my part of that discussion to women as those were the roles for which she had competed. She was pretty damned good in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Butterfield 8 and Giant, of course.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:21 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
She was 79, according to her publicist. CNN has more.
Note that this is not her first death.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 11:36 am
She was a great woman. I admired her tremendously.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2011 12:42 pm
@Ragman,
Liz won 3 Academy Awards:

"Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"
"Butterfield 8."
AA for Lifetime Humanitarian Efforts
0 Replies