Anyone know who discovered personality disorders?

snood

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 06:47 pm
Personality disorders, as we know them today and as explained in the DSM-IV, are very specific and well-defined. I've researched this a little but am not making any headway. Anyone have info about who first came up with the terminology and criteria for conditions like Histrionic Personality disorder, Narcissistic Personality disorder, Borderline, ....?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 4,418 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 07:22 pm
@snood,
Not me, but I'll boost the thread, though I figure it is a committee.

Aren't we at DSM V yet? (kidding, I dunno).
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 07:47 pm
@snood,
I know Freud had a lot to do with diagnosing mental issues but I don't know if he did personality disorders.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 08:45 pm
@snood,
Here's a start: As one direction of earliest documenters of psychological disorders, the author of 'Psychopathia Sexualis':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_von_Krafft-Ebing

Furthermore, in a different direction, more history on psych disorders:

"Ancient civilizations described and treated a number of mental disorders. The Greeks coined terms for melancholy, hysteria and phobia and developed the humorism theory. Psychiatric theories and treatments developed in Persia, Arabia and the Muslim Empire, particularly in the medieval Islamic world from the 8th century, where the first psychiatric hospitals were built.

Europe: Middle Ages - Conceptions of madness in the Middle Ages in Christian Europe were a mixture of the divine, diabolical, magical and humoral, as well as more down to earth considerations. In the early modern period, some people with mental disorders may have been victims of the witch-hunts but were increasingly admitted to local workhouses and jails or sometimes to private madhouses. Many terms for mental disorder that found their way into everyday use first became popular in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Eighteenth century: By the end of the 17th century and into the Enlightenment, madness was increasingly seen as an organic physical phenomenon with no connection to the soul or moral responsibility. Asylum care was often harsh and treated people like wild animals, but towards the end of the 18th century a moral treatment movement gradually developed. Clear descriptions of some syndromes may be rare prior to the 19th century.

Nineteenth century: Industrialization and population growth led to a massive expansion of the number and size of insane asylums in every Western country in the 19th century. Numerous different classification schemes and diagnostic terms were developed by different authorities, and the term psychiatry was coined, though medical superintendents were still known as alienists.

Twentieth century: The turn of the 20th century saw the development of psychoanalysis, which would later come to the fore, along with Kraepelin's classification scheme. Asylum "inmates" were increasingly referred to as "patients", and asylums renamed as hospitals.

Europe and the U.S. : In the 20th century in the United States, a mental hygiene movement developed, aiming to prevent mental disorders. Clinical psychology and social work developed as professions. World War I saw a massive increase of conditions that came to be termed "shell shock".

World War II saw the development in the U.S. of a new psychiatric manual for categorizing mental disorders, which along with existing systems for collecting census and hospital statistics led to the first Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM). The International Classification of Diseases (ICD) followed suit with a section on mental disorders. The term stress, having emerged out of endocrinology work in the 1930s, was increasingly applied to mental disorders.

Insulin Shock Therapy: Electroconvulsive therapy, insulin shock therapy, lobotomies and the "neuroleptic" chlorpromazine came to be used by mid-century. An antipsychiatry movement came to the fore in the 1960s. Deinstitutionalization gradually occurred in the West, with isolated psychiatric hospitals being closed down in favor of community mental health services. A consumer/survivor movement gained momentum. Other kinds of psychiatric medication gradually came into use, such as "psychic energizers" and lithium. Benzodiazepines gained widespread use in the 1970s for anxiety and depression, until dependency problems curtailed their popularity.

Advances in neuroscience and genetics led to new research agendas. Cognitive behavioral therapy was developed. The DSM and then ICD adopted new criteria-based classifications, and the number of "official" diagnoses saw a large expansion. Through the 1990s, new SSRI antidepressants became some of the most widely prescribed drugs in the world. Also during the 1990s, a recovery model developed."
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 08:59 pm
@snood,
Also, I do know that BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) is a newly coined name for a psychological disorder - perhaps categorized starting in the 1990s.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 09:26 am
These are all defined for the medical and insurance industries. Some medical coverage can be obtain for certain afflictions. A person can collect SSI for some afflictions.

They just removed "narcissist personality disorder" from the DSM big book, so all those horse's asses can't get a monthly check anymore.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 09:48 am
i believe that visits to the DMV are the main cause of personality disorders

they also appear to hire the most people with said disorders
Ragman

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 10:49 am
@djjd62,
I really hated to laugh about that ironic observation, but I had to. When I moved to so. FL I thought that I'd left that attitudinal stuff behind me as I thought it was a functional part of the urban northeast dysfunctionality. Nope, it's here too. And I brought mine along as baggage.

Of course, then while in the DMV, they handed me a $520 bill to register, get plates, get title (again) for my used car which I brought with me. At least they don't have inspections that I have to worry about.

BTW, they doubled all of their fees at the start of the year. So while I was in there, I went postal on their asses. I should be out of jail in 90 days with good behavior.
0 Replies