What happened to my icons?!?

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 01:45 pm
All of the icons except the vanilla ones that came with the Windows oh-so-long-ago have vanished!

Running Win95 (I think... it might be Win98, and I'm not going to ask it untill it's through doing a virus scan...)

Happened I think under the cover of a screen saver... at any rate my back was turned. Never had this happen before. Maybe I worship the wrong icons...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 946 • Replies: 11
No top replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 01:49 pm
I think your Icons may have gone blind & taken a wrong turning & fallen in the trash can. Poor little things
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 01:55 pm
I think a theme setting was changed.

Is it possible that in changing your screen saver you changed your desktop theme?

Or are they no longer available to choose?

I'm not sure if by "vanish" you mean that the icons changed or are no longer fund in your desktop themes.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 03:09 pm
Haven't changed the screensaver in months. Haven't changed my theme.

No Icons in the Recyled bin.

By vanished, I mean the Icons and shortcuts that littered the desktop are gone. All that was left was My Computer, Recycled, Network Neighborhood, and Internet Explorer.

It's possible, I suppose, that someone did it behind my back... but I doubt that anyone would be both motivated and skilled enough to do it without leaving obvious footprints (my co-workers are less computer savvy than I).

I just checked... I am running Win95.

Somewhere in the bit bucket...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 03:20 pm
This has happened to me with Windows '98, usually when the computer is shut down improperly. Evidently when survival is at stake, frills are ruthlessly discarded.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 03:21 pm
Ah, so there are files missing, and not just icons.

Hmm. Odd. And I don't have any answers for you.

It's not logged in to a different user account is it?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 03:32 pm
No... not logged in differently. No files missing other than the Icon files themselves. I don't keep files on the desktop, only shortcuts.

GUI's are for people who can't grep.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 04:09 pm
Craven--

Frills, not Files.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 04:15 pm
Nah, I meant files.

See, when Seal descibed it I thought all his files were there but that he had had customized icons that had reverted back to the originals.

What he seems to really have meant was that all the actual files are gone. And when he talked about "vanilla" ones he simply meant the recycle bin and whatnot.

So my confusion between missing icons and missing files was corrected.

But hey, if Seal can learn to think of the files as "frills" I think we've got this solved. ;-)
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 04:30 pm
Nah... just missing icons. Lessee... there was Word, Excell, Outlook, Paradox (DB), DIS (work specific DB), Vantage (Time entry), Minitab (specialized spreadsheet), A couple of dead links to manufacturing data collection, shortcuts to some Excell and Word files.

Nothing I can't recreate (or can I? right-click on an item, hit Send To -> Desktop on the menu does nothing.) but it's a PITA.

but, my bosses... no-frills is to be expected.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 04:34 pm
GRRRRR! Twice confused and of damn little help I be.

If it's just icons try this:

Right click the desktop then make sure "Show Desktop Icons" is checked.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 04:42 pm
Sorry, that should be:

Right click on desktop, select "Arrage Icons By" THEN make sure "Show Desktop Icons" is checked.

But if it's displaying the recycle bin I doubt this is it. Won't hurt to try though.
0 Replies