Can someone help me identify this analog controller?

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:22 pm
Hello all... Thank Goodness for the Internet, and any forum you can think of!

I have an old water softener that came with the house I purchased more than a few years ago. U.S. Filter does not sell these units anymore, and I see that Siemens now owns the U.S. Filter brand (I think). In any case, U.S. Filter is not in the business of selling these units, or parts. From all the research I've done, this looks a lot like a Fleck controller, the only thing that has ever come close to what I have is a Fleck 9100 Twin tank system.

Perhaps the controller is an off brand, or really outdated? Anyhow, you can see the pictures here:

http://s357.photobucket.com/albums/oo20/HookTheBrotherUp/Water%20Softener/

If anyone can identify this controller, I'd appreciate it. I would be interested in knowing where I could obtain parts for it, or if there is an updated (upgrade) controller for it.

The water has not been soft in some time, the brine tank has salt in it. I have not seen the brine being siphoned out. In other words, the brine tank filled up, but I did not see the water level go down, even after the cycle process was completed. The brine valve appears to function mechanically, at least it goes in and out with out any problem. I checked the venturi, all appears well, the screen was not clogged. This is when I began to look on the internet to see if I needed to replace the parts, but could never find out what brand I had in order to get parts.

Thanks for your time to look!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,109 • Replies: 8

HookTheBrotherUp

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:45 pm
@HookTheBrotherUp,
Ooops. I apologize, I see now I entered this in the wrong forum, it is not a Rainsoft product obviously. Perhaps a MOD can move it to the proper forum?

Thanks
sozobe

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 05:59 pm
@HookTheBrotherUp,
Actually you can choose the forums by adding tags. I just added a few ("water softener," "Fleck," "identification"), if you can think of one that would be more apropos ("identification" isn't very good) you can go ahead and add.
HookTheBrotherUp

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2011 06:36 pm
@sozobe,
Thanks sozobe, I appreciate what you did.

Albert
0 Replies

rmh2o

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 11:29 am
@HookTheBrotherUp,
This a Fleck Twin Flo SXT Softener. Was previously known as 9500 twin Flo. Here is the link to Pentair Water/Fleck for this valve.
http://www.pentairwatertreatment.com/en-us/Products/ResidentialControlValves/Fleck+TwinFloSXT.htm
This valve has had MANY problems and can be serviced by any dealer that sells Fleck valves. You can contact Nelsen Corp. on line and they can put you in contact with a local certified dealer. The main piston most likely needs to be replaced. Softenerparts.com may carry the parts. US Filter branded this system as their own. They were only in the residential water treatment for a short time. They purchased Culligan, owning them for several years until being swallowed up by a larger conglomerate. They are now part of Siemens.
RJ
ct water

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 03:32 pm
@HookTheBrotherUp,
After viewing the pictures I did not see a bypass valve on the back of the unit. Follow the inlet and outlet water pvc pipes. They both should have shut off valves that are open and should come together with 2 ties with a third valve(bypass) that should be closed. Turn on the water(bathtub or 2 sinks) in the house and hold on to the inlet and outlet water to feel if water is flowing through the unit. After 10 minutes or so the gallon count should go down(shown @1075). Steve G
HookTheBrotherUp

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 09:34 am
@rmh2o,
RJ,

Thank you, I really do appreciate the information. I know the controller has been obsoleted, but it looks like I can still find parts.
0 Replies

HookTheBrotherUp

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 09:39 am
@ct water,
Steve,
I do have the bypass valve for it, I had to fix an anti-siphon valve a few years ago, and had to move the unit, and I lost one of those metal clips to hold the thing together, so I never put it on, but built my own bypass as you described instead for < $10.00 a while back. I'll make sure I order the part if I order a "rebuild" kit for it.

The unit has worked great before it just stopped. I think it is still viable.
rmh2o

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 01:09 pm
@HookTheBrotherUp,
It's still viable. The parts are readily available. Fair warning though! A dealer will try to sell you a new unit or a 9100 valve to replace the 9500. There were a lot of issues with the pistons and switching tanks. So if you are a DIY'er it can last for many more years. This system is very efficient on salt and water usage also.
RJ
0 Replies