So How Is Your NCAA B-Ball Bracket Holding Up?

CowDoc

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 07:21 pm
@ossobuco,
Arizona helped. I'm still in the top 1.2 million. ESPN shows the brackets for a dozen celebritities, and only two are ahead of me at the moment. Colin Cowherd (I assume he's a sportscaster, but I don't know) and some guy named Obama have more than my 400 points. Snoop Dogg and I are tied so far. For not paying attention to college hoops this year, and the first time I've actually ever filled out an entire bracket, I don't feel like I'm doin' all that badly.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 07:26 pm
@CowDoc,
I haven't paid attention to college hoops since my days at UCLA, when Wooden reigned (1960-64). Or paid attention much. Still, I enjoy the endgame bracket business. Oh, wait, I did watch re Lou Alcindor..
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 08:03 pm
This is just for betting and trying to make money, right? Nobody actually watches this ****, do they?
Ragman

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 08:06 pm
@CowDoc,
Colin Cowherd is an ESPN Radio and TV talking (shaved) head. A bit annoying, but knows sports.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 08:09 pm
@JTT,
To me it is a game of no consequence, but I have enjoyed basketball well played.

Sometimes that well playing was at the courts at the beach for games for those under six feet. There was once a point guard for one of the teams that was a feisty woman.. usually the players were all males.
fun to watch.
Wish I'd taken a photo now.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 08:10 pm
@Ragman,
Colin Cowherd?

I've missed this nugget..
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 06:58 am
@JTT,
"MArch MAdness" is a fill in between football and baseball . While I only watch teams I had some association with (Penn STate, Princeton, Temple, Nova, Tulane), I have fun guessing the results. Nobody can pick these games withjout a major helping of luck.

My big interest hasnt been talked about yet. The really good college coaches, attempt to keep a cohesive team that isnt a turnstile where superstar kids come and go. In many of the basketball schools like KAqnsas and NC STate, we see a dismall graduation rate for the black kids who play.
In schools like PEnn State, Princeton, Duke, etc, the coaches have some of the best black player graduation rates for any schools.
Like DUkes coach said He would prefer a well oiled playing team with solid defense skills and outside 3 point shooting rather than one or two "kobes or Lebrons", (who, by the way , never attended college at all).
BAsketball, to me, is kinda boring
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 08:09 am
@CowDoc,
Well, two of my final four picks (KU and Florida) are still alive. I also have Ohio State picked to win tonight. Sadly, all the rest of my choices are now history. I don't think I'm alone this year, though.
farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 08:23 am
@CowDoc,
Duke looked like a buncha ecod raters agains Arizona. It wasnt even close
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 11:34 am
@farmerman,
I have a miserable 262 out of 476 points possible.
On the other hand, I am ranked 4350, better than 87.28% of all players (in the NYT bracket). Ohio State, Connecticut, Kansas, and Florida left. I'd picked Ohio State to win, and Notre Dame second. Notre Dame? That must have been a leftover pick from my high school days when I followed their football team, clearly a mistake.
CowDoc

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 04:34 pm
@ossobuco,
You're doing considerably better than I. I'm at 68.8% in the ESPN bracket website, ranked 1.86 millionth out of just short of six million.
realjohnboy

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 04:49 pm
@CowDoc,
I still have Ohio State and Kansas alive. I figured Duke was over-rated and had them falling. Like Osso, I thought highly of Notre Dame's chances.
Richmond (70 miles east of me) is a great story. A small, private, religiously oriented school (Baptist?). They will probably lose to Kansas tonight, but they have done well. The NY Times had a nice profile about the school a few days ago.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 05:01 pm
@realjohnboy,
I can't say I thought highly of Notre Dame's chances, that would make it look like I'd read anything about them. I know so little about college basketball that it's almost shameful, except that I don't care. I quickly read some website opinions before picking, but that was pretty useless as the experts all tended to disagree (if I remember what I saw, the checking was so quick).
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 05:58 pm
At least early on this evening, it seems the upper seeds are heeding the warning they got from Duke last night. UNC and Kansas are up huge.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 06:18 pm
@CowDoc,
But you're leagues (leaps?) better on points.
CowDoc

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 07:56 pm
@ossobuco,
I think it's just the difference in scoring systems. I'm now down to 58.8%, somewhere around 2.46 millionth after not having UNC. I do have Ohio State next, but neither VCU or Florida State, so I'm bound to go a little further down.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 11:42 pm
@CowDoc,
I'm dead (no statistics). Well, it's been fun..
I'll report how bad tomorrow.
CowDoc

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 07:19 am
@ossobuco,
Only KU and the Gators remaining. Don't look good...........
djjd62

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 08:06 am
NCAA March MadnessĀ® Bracket Challenge
djjd62 TOTAL POINTS 28 REMAINING POINTS 56 OVERALL RANK 200620 OVERALL PERCENTILE 37

not bad for using a ridiculous system of choosing my picks (shortest name as appearing on the bracket, in case of a same letter length name, chose team by first letter reverse alphabetical)

right now i'm down to VCU to win it all
djjd62

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2011 08:07 am
@djjd62,
by the by, anyone know what VCU stands for Confused