"US Steps Up Security for World Airlines"

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 02:41 am
"That's right, Euro-Pardners, either get a Texas Ranger on all your international flights to America or plan on air-to-air refueling on your way to Canada ... well off the coast," was one of the commentaroes after the Homeland Security Department called for marshalls in foreign plans.

(An interesting aside: this was published 24 hours earlier already in European media.)

And some kind US-papers mention - see google news-search - that Mexico and the UK already announced they will put undercover armed police on some flights.

(Another aside: just wondering, why it isn't mentioned that this is done since two years on German airlines?)

Britain, it seems, doesn't like this idea very much:
"Pilots and airlines are worried that arms given to flight staff might end up being used against guards and passengers."
Fears mar case for guards in the sky
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 568 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ning

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 03:34 am
like in Israel.

is it forever or just for a few days ?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 10:24 am
I suppose, 'for a short period for ever' - you know, what one time started ... :wink:
(We still pay in Germany the 'champagne tax' - invented by Emperor William II for getting some money for building up the Navy ...)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 10:55 am
Do not forsake me
Oh my darlin' . . .

Gary Cooper, in Air Marshall's uniform, faces down Mohammed Atta in the center aisle of first class, as a trembling Grace Kelly, in short-skirted, low cut stewardess uniform, contemplates of the vagaries of Quaker doctrine at 40,000 feet . . .
0 Replies