Husband was suspended ....

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:28 am
Hello - My husband was suspended at work for 9 days ... He was a passenger of the work vehical and the driver drove them to the airport to waste time while on ot.. Company said it was a code of conduct violation. This happened on a thursday and he was not suspended till the end of work on Monday. This is also a union job. Apon returning he was made to sign a letter stating he was on final warning ( never had a problem at all in 15 years ) and that the union gave him "adeqaute representation" . if the letter was not signed he would be sent home till an arbitraion date was set ( appx 8 months or more out ) The company said he falsified his time sheet but the senior man always fills out the time sheet ( Ie the one that was dr iving) all in all 5 were suspended. We were told to have a letter of Duress added to his employment file but I cannot find any examples of this except for resignations .. any ideas on this mess?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,006 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:42 am
@mccormack01,
Run, don't walk, and hire a lawyer that specializes in labor issues, though I'm not an expert on law. I'm not sure a union lawyer alone is sufficient.

However, that being said, what makes me wonder out loud here is why he went with them in the first place. If he hadn't, there'd be nothing to discuss.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:44 am
@mccormack01,
FIRST, uou should go immediately to inform your union steward at your workplace or call your union office. You shouldn't sign anything or say anything until your steward advises you. It's unfortunate that you've signed or said anything already, but your steward can help you.

BBB

Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:46 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I'm not sure but it seems that he did. She wrote, " that the union gave him "adeqaute representation."
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:53 am
@Ragman,
As I read her post, it was the management that said he had union representation. Upon returning he was made to sign a letter stating he was on final warning (never had a problem at all in 15 years ) and that the union gave him "adeqaute representation" .

He made the mistake of signing such a statement, but the steward can undue the damage. The steward will probably file an grievance for a hearing.

It's not necessary to hire an attorney at this time. Go through the union's grievance procedure first.

BBB
0 Replies

mccormack01

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:53 am
@Ragman,
Yes the " union business manger " is the one that told him to sign the document.
Ragman

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 10:54 am
@mccormack01,
I'll repeat my advice: seek out a lawyer who specializes in labor issues.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:04 am
@mccormack01,
With that new information, is the union business manager filing a grievance to get a hearing? Did he tell your husband what he was going to do to protect him?

BBB
dyslexia

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:15 am
based on the information presented, it seems a fairly clear case of fraud/theft by the union employee.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:57 am
@mccormack01,
mccormack01 wrote:
We were told to have a letter of Duress added to his employment file but I cannot find any examples of this except for resignations .. any ideas on this mess?

I suspect that's nothing more than an explanation of the circumstances in which your husband was put in complying with the authority of his superior(s).
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:05 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
If the business agent advised him to sign a letter stating he had had adequate union representation, I suspect the union has done all it intends to.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:13 pm
@mccormack01,
Did the union rep tell him to sign? I am guessing not, that management cornered then threatened this guy and got what they wanted out of him, and he did not know enough to demand his rights to union representation. For sure see what if anything the union can do now, but I would not have a lot of hope. The suspension is not the main problem, the main thing is that management has now built most of the documentation that they need to fire your husband.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:36 pm
What's this "final warning" thing??

I suspect that there have been other incidents. (writeups)

He should not have signed a thing unless he had union representation and/or advice.

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2011 06:25 am
Quote:
He was a passenger of the work vehical and the driver drove them to the airport to waste time while on ot.. Company said it was a code of conduct violation

Since we don't know what the "code of conduct " is, we can't comment on the statement made by the company. Since the workers were being paid to perform a job-related function, and they accepted pay for work not performed, shouldn't the company be calling this a case of fraud on the part of the workers who participated in the OT airport activity?
0 Replies