Ethics of insurance companies when they . . .

Walter3

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 05:12 am
Upon reaching age of majority, insurance companies send out forms for young people to fill out to confirm their status as non-smokers. If the form is not filled out and returned, the clients are categorized - and billed - as a smoker. What is this type of activity called, and what are the ethical considerations? (Walter3)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 799 • Replies: 6
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 05:28 am
@Walter3,
as reprehensible as insurance companies can be, why not just fill in the form correctly
ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 06:20 am
@Walter3,
Sounds like chapter 3 of P and P. Need to do your homework earlier.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 07:57 am
@Walter3,
I’d say that falls into an “Opt out” system.

You might find what you’re looking for if you research a little about "Opt in vs. Opt out" systems as they relate to marketing…organ donation…those kinds of debates.

0 Replies

Walter3

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 08:40 am
@djjd62,
The forms are registered and may or may not actually arrive. However, what I am really trying to do is find the term that describes the action. For example, if the absence of a vote it would be considered a vote for the ruling party - what's that called?
engineer

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 09:39 am
@Walter3,
I'm not sure that is the right analogy. If the insurance company is giving a discount to non-smokers, failing to apply for the discount is not a default vote. I guess it's all how it is framed up.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 12:39 pm
@Walter3,
Walter3 wrote:
What is this type of activity called...

Reverting to the default? I don't know. I don't think it has a name.

Walter3 wrote:
... and what are the ethical considerations? (Walter3)

There are none that I can see. Next time return the form.
0 Replies