Peter Pan...eh?

BlueMonkey

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 06:23 pm
I see no harm in Peter and Wendy liking each other. I saw the movie and I don't know what movie critics saw or people saw but all I saw in this movie was two 13 year olds liking each other. And they did nothing wrong. Wooo so there was tenstion. (roll eyes) they didn't even have an open mouth kiss. Bla bla on people. Peter Pan liked Wendy. Wendy liked Peter.
0 Replies

daleliop

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 06:51 am
Little Red Riding Hood? That reminds me of something I heard on the radio some time ago - how they accused Robin Hood for being gay because he lived in the forest with his merry men. That kinda thing is created by the people - not the author (in most cases), or definitely not deliberately. It's pretty ludicrous.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 07:22 am
Actually, sexuality in Peter Pan is created by the author.

J. M. Barrie, how first published the several stories of "The Little White Bird" (online book - e.g. HERE ) was a man whose relationship with children was at best suspect.
As a critic in The Guardian named it:
Quote:
There is no evidence that JM Barrie ever acted on any of his impulses and most contemporary reports describe him as distinctly asexual, but his predilection for hanging around Kensington Gardens making friends with small children would today set alarm bells ringing and send social workers running to take protective action

I think, this (and Peter Pan) is just another one the examples of Victorian and Edwardian wonderland literature, which are re-found for today's films .... and re-interpretated for "modern society".
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 08:02 am
My cub and i went to see Peter Pan and you guys need to get your minds out of the gutter...sexual tension indeed. It was a sweet movie and the love issues between Peter and Wendy were unspoiled, unawkward, and totally devoid of any sexual tension or innuendo.

They even managed to make this old chesnut of a tale have a bittersweet ending without cliche.

It was cool.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 10:19 am
I'm gonna come back in a bit and write out some of the more eyebrow-raising verses in the ORIGINAL Mother Goose (a reprint, but everything just as it was in the original 18__? version.) Wherever the origins, whatever the intent, definitely not all sugar and spice and niceness.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 12:01 pm
Sozobe, a lot of those rymes were origionally political satire that have lost their meaning over the pat 300 or more hundred years. For example "Hay didldle diddle, a cat and a fiddle" is about Queen Elizabeth I, she played a viola I think.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 12:15 pm
Correct, Acquiunk.

And, soz, the original (English version of) Mother Goose is from 1697, not 18_ :wink:
[title: "Stories or Tales from Times Past, with Morals - Tales of Mother Goose"]

[The really original version is in French, called: "Histoires ou contes du temps passé, avec des moralités: Contes de ma mère l'Oye", Paris, 1697]
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 12:32 pm
"As I did walk by Hamster square,
I came upon Mother Goose,
So I turned her loose,
She was screaming."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 12:34 pm
Right. I love getting that background. Some of the ones that make me go hmmm...

This was published in 1915, and says in the (c.1915) foreword,

Quote:
It is the only true classic edition that has been published in modern times. The two authorities which have been followed are the edition published for John Newbery's grandson in London in 1791, and probably edited by Oliver Goldsmith, and he edition published in Boston in 1833 by Munroe and Francis, called "The Only True Mother Goose melodies."

Robin and Richard
Were two pretty men;
They stayed in bed
Till the clock struck ten.
Then up starts Robin
And looks at the sky:
"Oh, Brother Richard,
The sun's very high.
You go before
With the bottle and bag,
And I will come after
On little Jack nag."

Hickety, pickety, my black hen
She lays eggs for gentlemen
Gentlemen come every day
To see what my black hen doth lay

One misty moisty morning
When cloudy was the weather
I chanced to meet an old man clothed all in leather
He began to compliment, and I began to grin
How do you do, how do you do,
And how do you do again?

(I like that one.)

Cock-a-doodle-doo,
My dame has lost her shoe:
My master's lost his fiddlestick,
And knows not what to do.

(Shall we start saying "shoe" instead of "purse"?)

Goosey, goosey gander, where dost thou wander?
Upstairs and downstairs and in my lady's chamber
There I met an old man that wouldn't say his prayers,
I took him by the hind legs and threw him down the stairs

"Cock, cock, cock, cock
I've laid an egg
Am I to gang ba-are-foot?"

"Hen, hen, hen, hen,
I've been up and down
To every shop in town,
And cannot find a shoe
To fit your foot
If I'd crow my hear-art out."

(Shoe again...)
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 12:37 pm
I'm teaching Tudor-Stuart England this term, and we are using a souce collection that includes some of the unadulterated Mother Goose rymes. In addition, i had them get the Baltimore Consort's "The Art of the Bawdy Song." This should be an entertaining term. Very Happy
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2004 07:51 pm
I saw Peter Pan on Sunday with my three-year-old daughter. I liked it a lot. Jason Isaacs did a good Mr. Darling and Captain Hook. Kind of Jekyll and Hyde. I thought he was great in The Patriot in a comic book, DR. EVIL, campy kind of way.

Anyway, my daughter just loves the Disney version, but I think this movie was a bit long for her. Two hours into it and she wanted to leave.
0 Replies