Saddam Singing Like a Canary- Information on Looted Funds

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 09:13 am
Quote:
DUBAI (Reuters) - Saddam Hussein has given his U.S. captors information on hidden weapons and as much as $40 billion he may have seized while he was Iraq's president, an Iraqi official was quoted as saying on Monday.
"Saddam has confessed the names of people he told to keep the money and he gave names of those who have information on equipment and weapons warehouses," Iyad Allawi, a member of the U.S.-appointed Iraqi Governing Council, told the London-based Asharq al-Awsat daily.

"The Governing Council is searching for $40 billion worth of funds seized by Saddam when he was in power and which has been deposited in Switzerland, Japan, Germany and other countries under the names of fictitious companies," Allawi said.
He said the council had asked international legal companies to track the money.

Allawi said interrogators were now focusing on whether Saddam -- arrested by U.S. forces this month and held at an undisclosed site -- had any links to militant groups.

Well, how about that! Do you think that we will finally learn about WMD?

What a wonderful thing if the looted funds could be poured back into Iraq.

What do you all think?

Link to article about funds looted by Saddam
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,232 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 09:25 am
Can we get a refund on the Shrub's military adventurism?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 09:30 am
Setanta- Not a bad idea at all............but I wouldn't hold my breath! :wink:
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 09:35 am
I'd suggest the United States have a cardiologist on site for Saddam. It sure would look bad if he had a heart attack and died any time soon.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 09:44 am
Up to this moment, all this is just based on the article in "Al-Sharq Al-Awsat".

I would be glad, if others could confirm this as well, because I only can read Latin letters :wink:
link to today's Al-Sharq Al-Awsat
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 10:12 am
I can't make it out either, Walter, but it sure is a pretty set of characters, isn't it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 10:13 am
Geeze you guys, it reads from right to left . . .

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 10:24 am
if these looted funds could be poured back into Iraq....you mean poured back into Haliburton and Brown Root for the noble rebuilding of Iraq don't you? :wink: Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 10:26 am
Until there is some conformation from other sources I would not hang my hat on the reliability of the report.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 10:27 am
Me neither. He could be LYING.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 10:33 am
Gosh that GWB is a lucky guy...everytime he needs something to happen that will boost him in the polls....it does......I need to have him buy my lotto tickets.... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 10:38 am
Bi-Polar Bear
I do not think Bush needs any help to boost him in the polls. The Dwarfs vying for the democratic candidacy are all the help he needs.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 10:47 am
Phoenix,

Don't hold your breath on WMDs. At some point the WMD believers will have to let go.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 10:49 am
au1929 wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear
I do not think Bush needs any help to boost him in the polls. The Dwarfs vying for the democratic candidacy are all the help he needs.

sigh....I reluctantly agree......Dragons everywhere and not a dragon slayer to be found.......nothing to do but try to fireproof the house.....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 02:31 pm
Craven- Well, whatever......I'm grateful for small favors. Whatever info that we can glean from that goon Saddam, has to be for the good.

Some peoples' reactions, IMO, are really funny. I was not even thinking in political terms. I was more interested how the knowledge would be helpful both to Iraq, and to assist in finishing up that damn war.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 02:44 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I was more interested how the knowledge would be helpful both to Iraq, and to assist in finishing up that damn war.

Well, if that isn't politics?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 02:45 pm
It always looks like dwarves are competing when it's this stage of a campaign against an incumbent president. Bush is hardly forbidding by contrast, nor was his father. Clinton was one of the dwarves running against him, if memory serves...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 02:46 pm
Yeah Walter, but I think that you know what I mean. I would hate any political party to use the information to make "points" for itself.

What the heck, the older that I get, the more I stay a Pollyanna! Laughing
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 03:05 pm
If that's the case my reaction isn't political either Phoenix. It's just an opinion that those holding out on WMD evidence are doing so in vain to justify their earlier opinions and that this propagates ignorance.

Basically what I'm saying is that there will be no weaponized WMD evidence found. And that those who cling to the WMD story do so in error. And in an error on which a war was waged. For that reason I consider it important.

It's disheartening to see support for a war based on willful ignorance and I think that keeping the WMD story alive is to keep said ignorance alive.

The sooner people accept that they were wrong about their WMD suspicions the better. A nation was invaded based on that excuse and the adamant supporters of the war touted the fear. Now instead of admitting they were wrong they try to declare it to still be an "open issue".

I think that's willfully ignorant. Before the war you talked of Saddam's involvement in 9/11. You offered a bet with frolic saying that after the war information to support your opinion would surface.

Well, it hasn't surfaced, and it won't. My point is that touting false claims is bad enough, but you did so in support for an unprovoked invasion.

You had the gall to ask to bet on it (which frolic declined saying that after the Iraqis were killed you admitting error would be meaningless).

And now you continue to keep the WMD hope alive.

You can claim it's not "political" but that doesn't matter. What it is is a false casus beli and I happen to think a casus beli is a very grave issue.

I don't like to see willful disregard for facts. And when the "facts" are used to invade a nation I happen to think them of paramount importance.

You might not care that the arguments you touted for invading Iraq have not had a shred of evidence to support them. But I do.

I remember your support for the WMD issue. I remember you touting the story of the drones that were supposed to be able to launch attacks in 45 minutes. I remember you betting that after the war was over your position would be vindicated in regard to Saddam and 9/11.

What I have yet to see is any willingness to admit error, despite the support for invading a nation based on those errors. To me this is important, and it's not a political issue any more than invading a nation is.

It's not political and not personal. But as long as falsehoods are offered they should be challenged. And I'm challenging them. I think your positions on WMD, drones, and Saddam and 9/11 had no basis.

Despite the fact that not even the US administration believed the 9/11 connection you were thre to tout it. And a substantial number of Americans believed this, despite there not being evidence to support it.

I find such ignorance sad, and when it's touted I challenge it.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2003 03:07 pm
Jackpot!!
Bush and the boys got exactly what they were looking for. All the riches Iraq could give up, are now ripe for the taking. Money and oil and a military presence in the middle east.

What WMD?
0 Replies